Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Do we say "I was hit in the head"? Like "I was hit in the head by a ball".

hit on the head

Both hit in and on are OK in BrE.

For some reason I can't explain, I always take a hit on the head to mean a blow to the forehead or the crown (top) of the head, while a hit in the head means that the blow strikes the side or back of the head.

I also wonder why people say 'punch in the face' instead of 'punch on/to the face'. Can anyone explain?

I also wonder why people say 'punch in the face' instead of 'punch on/to the face'. Can anyone explain?

I have never seen any explanation but the only distinction that I can think of is that blows that can be received in a face to face fight such as a boxing match are "in". So a boxer punches you "in" the face but a robber hits you "on" the head. I have absolutely no idea why this distinction exists.

I have never seen any explanation but the only distinction that I can think of is that blows that can be received in a face to face fight such as a boxing match are "in". So a boxer punches you "in" the face but a robber hits you "on" the head. I have absolutely no idea why this distinction exists.

Or is it better to say 'He punched my face/nose/eye socket/head'?

Or is it better to say 'He punched my face/nose/eye socket/head'?

It's more natural to say He punched me in the nose, etc. Just say "eye". Socket is anatomically correct but not natural.

We have had this question several times before. There is no simple answer. The prepositions used in such situations simply have to be learned/memorised.

She punched me on the nose.
He hit me in the face.
He smacked me on the bum.
She smacked me round the face.
He thumped him in the arm.
She kicked me in the shin.

There are many others. Whenever you find an example of one of them in your reading (which you are doing, aren't you?), make a note of it.

Both hit in and on are OK in BrE.
And in American English, too.

But with punched, always use in:

- punched in the head
- punched in the stomach
- punched in the nose

No one knows why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back