Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Are "holding on to a rope" and "holding on to a rope" interchangeable? There seems to be a nuance that I can't tell.

======================
When I read "rappelling means the act of going down a very steep slope by holding on to a rope that is fastened to the top of the slope" to Microsoft Translator, it shows "...holding onto a rope..." (in addition to this, "repelling" should have been "rappelling" - but that is not the question of this thread):

Jan.31,2020 3.JPG Click to enlarge

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are "holding on to a rope" and "holding on to a rope" interchangeable? There seems to be a nuance that I can't tell.

======================
When I read "rappelling means the act of going down a very steep slope by holding on to a rope that is fastened to the top of the slope" to Microsoft Translator, it shows "...holding onto a rope..." (in addition to this, "repelling" should have been "rappelling" - but that is not the question of this thread):

View attachment 3871 Click to enlarge

We're done with MS Translator questions. You're welcome to pose a question about "holding onto" versus "holding on to" in another thread that doesn't mention that service.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.