Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Is the sentence highlight with blue correct?

In addition,
increasing use of technology can release people from tying of household chores and routine works. ..........Modern people have much spare time to do what they want.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. Can you identify the problem?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: As a clue, think of what they are being released from. Is it 'tying'?

b

dawnngcm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks for your reply.

I don't think I can identify the problem. I just have a feeling that it is bit odd to use the words 'release' and 'tying'.

Would you mind showing me what the problem is?

dawnngcm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks BobK!

I thought about using ‘ease’ instead of ‘release’, but I think the expression is not strong enough.

And I thought about using ‘binding / confine instead of tying(tie).

I checked with dictionaries, wikipedia and surfed on Yahoo Uk. But I still don’t have idea about the words.

If I rewrite it,
increasing use of technology can release people from tying to household chores and routine works.' Is this correct?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks BobK!

I thought about using ‘ease’ instead of ‘release’, but I think the expression is not strong enough.

And I thought about using ‘binding / confine instead of tying(tie).

I checked with dictionaries, wikipedia and surfed on Yahoo Uk. But I still don’t have idea about the words.

If I rewrite it,
increasing use of technology can release people from tying to household chores and routine works.' Is this correct?

"can release people from tying to household chores" This part should be passive. Does that help?

dawnngcm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"can release people from tying to household chores" This part should be passive. Does that help?

Thanks bhaisahab for giving me that clue!

If I rewrite it,
increasing use of technology can release people from being tied to household chores and routine works.'
- Is the sentence correct now?

- Are ‘release’ and ‘tie’ the proper words in this expression?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

If I rewrite it,
increasing use of technology can release people from being tied to household chores and routine works.'

If you make "work" singular, it's OK.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:

If I rewrite it,
increasing use of technology can release people from being tied to household chores and routine work[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE].'

Another way round it is to replace 'being tied to' with a noun; (this also lets you use a strong collocation of 'release').

Increasing use of technology can release people from the shackles/bonds/...['ball and chain' is probably a bit 'over the top', but I like it ;-)] of ...

b

PS There is also the verb 'hobble', which means 'restrict movement by connecting the legs with a short rope'. (The short rope is called 'a hobble', and the informal word 'nobble' (=give a subject of gambling [often a horse] a secret disadvantage)derives from 'an hobble' - dating from when the rules about a and an were different). So you could also say Increasing use of technology can save people from being hobbled by...

Last edited:

dawnngcm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks all your clues and tips.

:up:

Another way round it is to replace 'being tied to' with a noun; (this also lets you use a strong collocation of 'release').

Increasing use of technology can release people from the shackles/bonds/...['ball and chain' is probably a bit 'over the top', but I like it ;-)] of ...

b

PS There is also the verb 'hobble', which means 'restrict movement by connecting the legs with a short rope'. (The short rope is called 'a hobble', and the informal word 'nobble' (=give a subject of gambling [often a horse] a secret disadvantage)derives from 'an hobble' - dating from when the rules about a and an were different). So you could also say Increasing use of technology can save people from being hobbled by...

I like the idea of using ‘ball and chain’ too. That is a vivid description. :up:

Because the writing is going to review by a grammar checker using APA style, I don’t know if the idiom ‘ball and chain’ is accepted by it. Even though the system asks me to use other word, ‘shackle’, ‘hobble’ or ‘nobble’ is a very good word to use. :-D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.