How do I use third conditional in a sentence?

Anna_shi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Can anyone help me understand how to correctly use the third conditional in a sentence? I'm trying to grasp the nuances of English grammar, specifically the third conditional, because I've read it's used for hypothetical situations in the past that didn't happen. For example, I wanted to say that if I had known the party was last night, I would have gone. However, I'm not confident if I'm structuring these sentences correctly or choosing the right verb tenses. Could someone provide me with clear examples and explanations to better understand this grammar point?"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If I had known the party was last night, I would have gone.
That is a classic third conditional counterfactual sentence. You did not know there was a party, and so you did not go. If you had known (past perfect) you would have gone (modal perfect).

Anna_shi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Many thanks:love:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I forgot to welcome you to the forum, Anna. i hope you will enjoy your time with us.

There is no need to submit a separate thank you post. Once you have submitted a few more posts, you will be able to click on a button to like a post or thank its writer.

Last edited: