"How do you do?" old school expression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

In my little time, teachers always taught us to say "How do you do?" for greeting, however when I grew up, I never hear people say "How do you do?" in movies and in daily life.....I just want to know anybody would use "How do you do?" for greeting now? is it an old school expression? Please advise.

W

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
I don't know that it is "old school", but it is formal. It is the way I would greet someone on the first meeting.

I am a not native speaker, but everytime I went to America, I got in the shop, sales clerks just said "How's it going?", "How are you?","How are you doing?", but I never heard that they would say "How do you do?" to me, I just wonder the new generation would still say "How do you do?" on the first meeting? Please advise.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wouldn't use it as a greeting; it's for formal introductions.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've never heard it during visits to America, nor in American TV or films. I would say that it's a particularly BrE expression.

As previously stated, it's not a greeting as such, but at formal parties or business meetings, when people meet for the first time, they are likely to shake hands and simply say "How do you do?" It doesn't require a response - it's almost a statement, rather than a question.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Is it impolite to start the conversation without replying when someone say to me "How do you do" ?
Can we reply with that statement "How do you do" or simply say thanks ?

Thank you !

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it impolite to start the conversation without replying when someone say to me "How do you do" ?
Can we reply with that statement "How do you do" or simply say thanks ?

Thank you !

I wouldn't recommend saying nothing at all in response. "Thanks" doesn't work as it's not really an answer.

Most people would probably just repeat "How do you do?" back to the other person then get on with the conversation. It's an odd question, because even though it means "How are you?", people very rarely say "Fine, thank you" in response.

buggles

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"How do you do?" has become corrupted over time and has become simply, "Howdo".
This is used as a greeting in informal situations, but it's not a question - it's just another way to say, "Hello" or "Hi". I suspect that this is specific to BrE.

The usual response to "Howdo" is "Howdo"!

buggles (not a teacher)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"How do you do?" has become corrupted over time and has become simply, "Howdo".
This is used as a greeting in informal situations, but it's not a question - it's just another way to say, "Hello" or "Hi". I suspect that this is specific to BrE.

The usual response to "Howdo" is "Howdo"!

buggles (not a teacher)

Dare I add that this is a somewhat regional variation (Northern)! I've never heard a native of London or the Home Counties say it.

buggles

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Dare I add that this is a somewhat regional variation (Northern)! I've never heard a native of London or the Home Counties say it.

You certainly dare - and it probably is! :)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, "How do you do?" is typically used as a greeting while shaking hands in a formal situation - a business meeting (one of those meetings where everyone involved is wearing suits and ties) or when greeting folks that you haven't previously met while standing in the receiving line at a wedding or funeral.

In less formal situations, "how do you do?" would sound very stilted and it is more appropriate to say something like "Nice to meet you" or "How's it going?" or "Hi, how are you?"

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
I've never heard it during visits to America, nor in American TV or films. I would say that it's a particularly BrE expression.

As previously stated, it's not a greeting as such, but at formal parties or business meetings, when people meet for the first time, they are likely to shake hands and simply say "How do you do?" It doesn't require a response - it's almost a statement, rather than a question.

It's interesting. I was taught that the polite way was to repeat "How do you do?" in response. By the way, does "Mr. and Mrs. Git" ring a bell? ;-) It's unforgettable how John Cleese said (at about 0:40, in this video) "How do you do?". :mrgreen: (And the nun at the end: "I preferred the dirty version." :lol: )

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I have heard it used in London, but as an imported term. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.