Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Case1

Oxford gives us a list of examples with prepositions like this (each preposition in a phrase and on a new string):
  • depressed about something She felt very depressed about the future.
  • depressed at something He was really depressed at the thought of going into the office.
  • depressed over something She was depressed over the recent death of her mother.
  • depressed by something I was depressed by our lack of progress.
Taken from here: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/depressed?q=depressed

1664385539586.png

Case 2

And sometimes like this (a list of prepositions just in brackets):
  • disillusioned (by/with somebody/something)
  • angry at/about/over something

1664385501814.png

Taken from here: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/disillusioned?q=disillusioned
And here: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/angry?q=angry

Case 3
And sometimes prepositions are not specially mentioned byt scattered about the examples.
Like this:
  • She felt exhilarated with the speed and the rush of air.
1664385650399.png

Taken from here: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/exhilarated?q=exhilarated

Could you help me understand what is the logic in how they mention prepositions? That is what is the difference between the three cases?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up about how dictionaries list their examples. The important question is whether you understand the meaning of the examples or not. If you see an example of a particular preposition used in a particular way in a reputable dictionary, you can rest assured that it's right and that you can use it yourself.

Nonverbis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I mean that maybe there is a system behind this, which I don't know. This system would interest me greatly.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I suggest you contact the writers/publishers of the dictionaries. We're not going to be able to answer your question.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In case 1, each preposition gives a significantly different meaning to the phrase, which is why they're separately listed. In case 2, where you get prepositions between slashes, they're saying that we use either preposition with no significant difference.

Last edited:

Nonverbis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In case 1, each preposition gives gives a significantly different meaning to the phrase, which is why they'r eseparately listed. In case 2, where you get prepositions between slashes, they're saying that we use either preposition with no significant difference.
This represents a significant difficulty for me.

Let's have a look at case 1.

She was depressed about the recent death of her mother.
She was depressed at the recent death of her mother.
She was depressed by the recent death of her mother.

Frankly speaking, I will not be able to distinguish that for memorising. And taking into consideration how many years I've been studying English, it is hardly worth hoping that I will acquire this intuition one day.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Frankly speaking, I will not be able to distinguish that for memorising. And taking into consideration how many years I've been studying English, it is hardly worth hoping that I will acquire this intuition one day.

Well, I think you'll benefit from studying the meanings of prepositions more closely. This is a tremendously difficult area for pretty much everyone, so you're not alone. Also, you need to study examples where the difference is maximally exposed. I don't think your 'death of her mother' example does this very well, but if you open a new thread, I'll try to explain the difference in meaning between the three sentences.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Keep in mind @Nonverbis that there is almost no rhyme or reason to the choice of prepositions in English. Native speakers are able to choose the correct preposition with ease, but learners must memorize long lists of examples. It is one of the most difficult things learners have to do in order to perfect their English

Another point: you will run across occasional odd examples of usage. "Exhilarated by" is usual (99.999% of the time). I don't think I've ever encountered "exhilatarated with" before, but as we've seen in this thread, it has occurred in print.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are also variants in preposition use among the different versions of English. Americans do things on the weekend. Britons at the weekend. Prepositions can be simultaneously very important and arbitrary.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry, I can't help but comment on the following:

Keep in mind @Nonverbis that there is almost no rhyme or reason to the choice of prepositions in English.

I couldn't disagree more! Prepositions are chosen with respect to their meanings just as much as any other words.

Another point: you will run across occasional odd examples of usage. "Exhilarated by" is usual (99.999% of the time). I don't think I've ever encountered "exhilatarated with" before, but as we've seen in this thread, it has occurred in print.

I don't find anything odd about the use of with in the example given in the dictionary. I think with was selected to show that the speed and rush of air was an accompaniment to her exhilaration rather than a cause. Think of with as meaning 'in the presence of' rather than as 'caused by'.

The choice of preposition is determined by meaning in almost all cases. Learners need to remember that there are extremely few cases where a preposition is fully dependent on the preceding word, whether that be an adjective or verb or anything else.

There are also variants in preposition use among the different versions of English. Americans do things on the weekend. Britons at the weekend.

Yes, there are some rare cases of differences in usage, but really very few. Still, the fact that Americans use on the weekend where Brits would use at the weekend doesn't suggest that they don't have different meanings, if even such difference is trivial.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Prepositions are chosen with respect to their meanings just as much as any other words.
I have sometimes wondered why English speakers watch things on television, French speakers watch them at them at the television and German speakers watch then in the television. How are these prepositions chosen 'with respect to their meanings'?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have sometimes wondered why English speakers watch things on television, French speakers watch them at them at the television and German speakers watch then in the television. How are these prepositions chosen 'with resect to their meanings'?

Great question! I've wondered similar things. If you'd really like me to answer this, I can at least try, but it's not at all easy (and I'm not very well qualified) to talk about languages other than English. I'm very happy to discuss it further, though. Preposition usage is one of my great interests in semantics.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you start a thread in the linguistics section, I'll join you. I can't promise to stay long. I have found little sense or logic in the use of prepositions in any of the languages I am acquainted with.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I do have some presently half-baked thoughts prepared on your question about differences in use among other languages, but it will take quite a lot of effort, so I won't lay them out here on this forum unless people are particularly interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.