Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody :)

I was reading something about these 2 words : "different" and "various" - (using it in flashcards).
I learned that "diverse" - means that it means there is a greater difference.

So I was trying to search for some similarities and I found these 2 words - what's funny that they quite the same in the meaning, but I read that they can be used in particular situation.
So this time it won't be a question "what's the difference" but "how should I use it?".

In writing, I've found that people often substitute "different" with words like "various", "diverse", and "disparate" in order to avoid using the same word over and over again.

Where did you get the idea that they have the same meaning?

Try looking up these words in several of the dictionaries at www.onelook.com. Look at the example sentences provided. You'll soon get some idea of their meanings. Then look at the way people have used these words - you'll find many examples at fraze.it.

Here you have : https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/different

Different :

2: not the same: such as :

b: VARIOUS different members of the class

As I said before, I know some difference in diverse : like in some
dictionaries (it means a greater differece for example the culture of the city).

So how about various and different?

There are many differences between those two words. Perhaps the most important is the grammatical difference: different is always an adjective, whereas various is often a determiner, meaning 'of an indefinite plural number':

I have various strings to my bow.

various is used before a plural noun (never a singular one) when referring to a group of things that are similar but not all of the exact same kind:

He wrote down various words and phrases.

different is used when simply comparing two or more things:

The two words are different. :tick:
The two words are various. :cross:

So simply "various" shows the amount for example (Those examples are my first thoughts so they aren't maybe that logical, sorry :D) :

- Don't worry there are many various houses to see. We will find the perfect one!

I belive that similar means (same subject, or item etc.) but has a small difference.

When in difference I can say : "Do you see any difference in this new special effects?" "Compering to the last movie, this one is completely different ..."

Something like that ?

So simply "various" shows the amount for example

Not always, but it can do, yes.

Don't worry there are many various houses to see. We will find the perfect one!

No, that's not quite right. Before you try again, I suggest you do more research on this by consulting various dictionaries to see the various meanings that the word various can have, and to see some correct examples of usage, too.

I belive that similar means (same subject, or item etc.) but has a small difference.

No. When I use similar in this thread, I really mean 'of the same category'.

"Do you see any difference in these new special effects?" "Compared to the last movie, this one is completely different ..."

Something like that ?

Yes, that's right.

Last edited:
No, that's not quite right. Before you try again, I suggest you do more research on this by consulting various dictionaries to see the various meanings that the word various can have, and to see some correct examples of usage, too.

Why isn't it correct?
Which is very weird because whenever I check the examples of the word "various" there is something like this (various : different, various = different).

Comparing my last example to this one : "They came for various reasons."

Don't worry there are many various houses to see.

Why isn't it correct?

You can't use the word many together with various because they are both trying to fill the same determiner slot. You have to use one or the other.

Comparing my last example to this one : "They came for various reasons."

Yes, that's fine.

So if I will say "Don't worry there are various houses to see. We will find the perfect one!"- Will it be correct then?

Then I don't get it ...

So if I [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] say "Don't worry there are various houses to see. We will find the perfect one!" [STRIKE]- Will[/STRIKE] is it [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] correct? [STRIKE]then?[/STRIKE]

See above. You can use "If I say ..., is it ...?" or "If I said ..., would it be ...?"

Yes, it's correct grammatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back