Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
In my quest to enhance my English proficiency, I have delved into the realm of various accents. While my vocabulary is already at a C2 level, the (to my ears, rather grating) strong German accent persists. After some research, I came across "Morningside," or in general a Scottish (Edinburgh) accent, characterized by an upper-class tone or RP undertones. I’m aware that many upper-class Scots attempt to hide their accent with an RP one, but I’d like for some parts of the Edinburgh accent to “shine through”. Are there any other dialects that sound similar? Unfortunately, there are only a few language samples on YouTube for this "posh Scottish English." So far, I'm familiar with the film "Miss Jean Brodie"; can you suggest any other examples?

As for approaching the task of acquiring a new accent, what is the most effective method? Are there any phonetic peculiarities that define the Morningside dialect or are there any tips available? Traveling to that location is currently not feasible for me, so the internet is my sole resource.
Many thanks in advance!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suggest that you don't skip things that are important.

Try: "How can I learn to have a posh Scottish accent?"

If your first language is German it is unremarkable that you would have a German accent. In fact, it would be surprising if you didn't.

On a personal note, I studied German in high school, but I haven't had much use for it. (Spanish would have been more useful.)

Somebody is going to ask you this, so it might as well be me. Why do you want to have a Scottish accent?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A posh Scottish accent is the same as a posh English accent. As the fictional Dr McTaggart put it on the old Tony Hancock show : "We're not all Rob Roys you know".

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
A posh Scottish accent is the same as a posh English accent. As the fictional Dr McTaggart put it on the old Tony Hancock show : "We're not all Rob Roys you know".

The accent used by Maggie Smith as Professor McGonagall in the Harry Potter films is a good example of what I, as an English man, would recognise as a Morningside accent which is traditionally associated with the Edinburgh elite. On the other hand the Highland aristocracy have been sending their sons to English public schools for generations so it all depends on your definition of "posh".

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Watch videos of Ronnie Corbett.

Moonheart

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I suggest that you don't skip things that are important.

Try: "How can I learn to have a posh Scottish accent?"

If your first language is German it is unremarkable that you would have a German accent. In fact, it would be surprising if you didn't.

On a personal note, I studied German in high school, but I haven't had much use for it. (Spanish would have been more useful.)

Somebody is going to ask you this, so it might as well be me. Why do you want to have a Scottish accent?
Apologies, although I’m still unsure what exactly I have left out that is important?

Are you really saying that you aim to develop a posh Edinburgh accent, @Moonheart? Why?
It simply is an accent I enjoy listening to and that interests me? Just like how some people prefer to learn RP or General American, I am quite fond of the Scottish variant. As for the differentiation Edinburgh, I find it to be rather easily understandable for non-native speakers as it seems spoken as written as well as being described as one of the most pleasant accents, and since I need to do a lot of talking in my later field of work this is important to me. The posh part was recommended to me by my professor, since it appears as if most lawyers in that field are old-fashioned. In general I’m searching for a posh accent with a Scottish twinge.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't have any advice but once you've reached a level you're happy with, I'd love to hear a recording of it!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It simply is an accent I enjoy listening to and that interests me? Just like how some people prefer to learn RP or General American, I am quite fond of the Scottish variant.

It's still quite unclear to me. Are you just saying you like the sound of it in others? Or do you really mean you want to start putting on a posh Edinburgh accent in your own speech? You should absolutely not do that.

The posh part was recommended to me by my professor, since it appears as if most lawyers in that field are old-fashioned. In general I’m searching for a posh accent with a Scottish twinge.

Searching for what purpose?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think post #1 makes it very clear that the OP hopes to adopt/acquire this accent himself/herself.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Apologies, although I’m still unsure what exactly I have left out that is important?
One thing is how to ask a question. To make that a question you should say, for example, "What have I skipped that's important? (Then you would need a question mark.)

There's no need to apologize.