Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
How to ask a lady who you met recently her age?

Would you please judge these?

1. May I learn how old you are?
2. May I learn how you are old?

I judge them both to be rude and highly improper. #2, furthermore, is ungrammatical.

Is it common practice to do this in Turkey?

I judge them both to be rude and highly improper. #2, furthermore, is ungrammatical.

Is it common practice to do this in Turkey?
But please do not judge this according to the social norms or cultures. What is wrong with to ask it if you really wonder about it and if the lady is speaking with you." I just would like to learn how to say in the best ways?

If you happen to go to an English-speaking country where it's not considered rude to ask someone's age, use "May I ask your age?", "May I ask how old you are?" or simply "How old are you?" But do bear in mind that this is not considered to be a polite question in many circles.

If you happen to go to an English-speaking country where it's not considered rude to ask someone's age, use "May I ask your age?", "May I ask how old you are?" or simply "How old are you?" But do bear in mind that this is not considered to be a polite question in many circles.

These are less direct ways. Would you please judge thim?
6. I was thinking of your age.
7. I was wondering about your age.

These are less direct ways. Would you please judge thim?
6. I was thinking of your age.
7. I was wondering about your age.

6. doesn't really make sense.
7. is not at all appropriate.

Just use the ways advised in post #4.

No and No. Something else you never want to ask, unless you are her physician:

"How much do you weigh?"
I think asking ladies their age is a quite normal thing, but there should be a method with respect to language.

Avoiding impoliteness is just as much a matter of how you say something as what you say. Of course it's also entirely dependent on your relationship to the woman. Here are two more ways you could use with someone you don't know well.

How old are you?—if you don't mind my asking.
Do you mind me asking how old you are?

I think asking ladies their age is a quite normal thing, but there should be a method with respect to language.
Then you are wrong with respect to Anglophone countries. There is no aspect of English that prevents one from saying "How old are you?" which is the obvious method. But culturally, you are wrong if you assume it is quite normal practice in English cultures.
Of course, there are situation where it's appropriate. The doctor has been mentioned. It's also common on TV shows such as "X Factor", where lady contestants are often asked, "And how old are you, Susan?" (especially if their name is Susan).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back