How to descibe times for tour registration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM00698695

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear Teacher,

I have a question that I hope won't trouble you too much.

I work for a museum offering guided tour that is open for reservation every 20th of the previous month, starting from 10am and until it is fully reserved.

I now have to post the information on our website and seek your kind guidance on how to give a better description of the times for reserving our guided tours. I wonder if the abovementioned is idiomatic and, if not, how to improve it.

I would be extremely grateful for your kind guidance!

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear teachers,

I have a question that I hope won't trouble you too much.

I work for a museum offering guided tours that are open for reservations the twentieth of every month, [STRIKE]starting[/STRIKE] from 10 [space] a.m. and until it is fully reserved.

Which do you mean?:

- The tours only happen on the twentieth.
- Reservations are only taken on the twentieth.
- Beginning the twentieth of each month, reservations are taken for tours happening the following (not previous!) month.

I expect that you mean the third choice, but your sentence could mean any of those.

I now have to post the information on our website and seek your kind guidance on how to give a better description of the times for reserving our guided tours. I wonder if the abovementioned is idiomatic and, if not, how to improve it.

If you answer the question I asked above, we can make suggestions.

I would be extremely grateful for your kind guidance!

Cheers.
No trouble at all. That's why we're here. Cheers, indeed!

Try this:
Guided tour reservations for a particular date start on the 20th of the month before.
Please note that places are limited and subject to availability.

No trouble at all. That's why we're here. Cheers, indeed!

Dear Charliem,

Thank you very very much for your response!

As you expected, what I intend to express is that 'the guided tours offered in the next month will be open for registration since 10 a.m. on the 20th of the current month'.

It is a little bit complex for me in English.

Hope to hear back from you soon.

[STRIKE]Dear[/STRIKE] You're not writing a letter.

[STRIKE]Charliem[/STRIKE] Charlie Bernstein, (If you're going to address someone directly, you must get their name right) thank you very very much for your response!

As you [STRIKE]expected[/STRIKE] suspected, what I [STRIKE]intend[/STRIKE] want to express is that 'The guided tours offered in the next month will be open for registration [STRIKE]since[/STRIKE] from 10 a.m. on the 20th of the current month'.

It is a little bit complex for me to write this in English.

[STRIKE]Hope to hear back from you soon.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

Note my corrections and comments above.

I'd use "Registration for guided tours will open at 10am on the 20th of the preceding month".

Dear Charliem,

Thank you very very much for your response!

As you expected, what I intend to express is that 'the guided tours offered in the next month will be open for registration [STRIKE]since[/STRIKE] beginning at 10 a.m. on the 20th of the current month'.

It is a little bit complex for me in English.

Hope to hear back from you soon.
Both suggestions above are clear and natural.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about using the simple present tense:

Guided tours for the month are open for registration from 10.00 a.m. on the 20th of the previous month
?

Last edited:
How about using the simple present tense:

Guided tours for the next month is open for registration from 10.00 a.m. on the 20th of the previous month
?
That will work if you fix the agreement error I've marked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back