Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hello everybody....

Since I learn English in Elementary school until now as the university student, my listening skill is low. :cry:

How to improve my listening skill? :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everybody. ​(Remember that one single appropriate punctuation mark is enough.)

[STRIKE]Since I learn English in Elementary school until now as the university student,[/STRIKE] I started learning English at elementary school and I am now a university student but my listening skills [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are still [STRIKE]low[/STRIKE] poor. :cry:

How [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] can I improve my listening skills? :)

Please see my corrections to your post above.

My main advice is to listen, listen, listen! Find an English-speaking radio station and play it at every opportunity. Have the radio on in the background whenever you are at home. Don't actively listen to it, just allow yourself to be immersed in the sound of the language. Try watching videos on TED - you can watch them first without subtitles to see how much you understand and then you can switch on the subtitles for some help. Watch English TV shows and films (but always remember that the spoken English is not necessarily grammatical).

The best thing you can do is find a native speaker to practise with. Advertise locally and see if there is someone who is interested in a language swap where you meet for an hour, speak English for half an hour and then speak your native language for half an hour, so that the other person can practise your language.

Louiesaha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Switzerland
Hi,
For me, beside watching the English TV shows, I also watched news like CNN and Bloomberg almost everyday, I just had the TV running in the background and did other stuffs, occasionally , paid attention to it, over some times, the comprehension would just come naturally. I had never really been trying very hard to listen words by words , just be relaxed . Now, I can understand at least 95 % and above of the news.
I also listen to English songs using the headphones, pick some favorites , try to listen the words they are singing while enjoying the songs' rhythms. By this way, I can improve the listening skill in a relaxing way! ;-)
Not a teacher.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hello everybody....

Since I learn English in Elementary school until now as the university student, my listening skill is low. :cry:

How to improve my listening skill? :)

Not a teacher

In my opinion, the best way to improve your listening skill is you have to listen it more and more. You should listen English conversations or watch film. you can also listen music every night before you sleep. It will make you a listening English habit. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Devi_Dwi_Rahayu, please read this extract from the Forum Rules:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language.

If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.