How to make a syllabus for different levels of conversations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetrahall

Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear All,

I have been given this task of making a brief syllabus for English language conversations for various levels:-
- Beginners
- Lower Intermediate
- Intermediate
- Upper Intermediate
- Advanced

At first, I thought it was easy, but when I sat down to think about it I was completely lost!

How does one go about it? Should I list some "practical situations", for example, at a shop, at a bus stop, etc., and then suggest some dialogue between two or more people?

Even then, how do I decide what is suitable for different levels. Is there anything like this on the internet?

I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Kind regards,

David

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Go to the person who set you this task and ask them to tell you clearly what they expect of you.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
After you've spoken to your tutor, remember that you have to do assignments/tasks on your own. We can't help with homework or assignments of any kind. This is clearly stated in the forum rules.

tetrahall

Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Go to the person who set you this task and ask them to tell you clearly what they expect of you.
Thank you, 5jj, for your response. My apologies, my question wasn't phrased clearly.

The difficulty I am having is in grading these conversations.

Say I have a group of 5 students, all beginners, and I ask each "Where do you come from?". They would respond by saying, for example, "I come from Greece." or "I come from Japan". And so on. One could think of many examples like these to get the students to talk about. That would be the "syllabus" for beginners - no problem here!

The other groups of 5 students each are at higher levels, e.g. "lower intermediate", "intermediate", "upper intermediate". How could one decide the contents of such dialogues? Could one divide vocabulary and grammar according to these levels and simply think of dialogues based on that?

I just need some guidance or hints.

tetrahall

Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
After you've spoken to your tutor, remember that you have to do assignments/tasks on your own. We can't help with homework or assignments of any kind. This is clearly stated in the forum rules.
Hi emsr2d2,

Thank you for your advice. Kindly, I am not expecting homework or assignments done for me. That is clearly stated - and understood - in the forum rules.

All I am requesting is some hints or guidance. It would be more than enough to point me in the right direction! Please read my answer to 5jj.

With kindest regards -:)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Should I list some "practical situations", for example, at a shop, at a bus stop, etc., and then suggest some dialogue between two or more people?

Yes.

How could one decide the contents of such dialogues? Could one divide vocabulary and grammar according to these levels and simply think of dialogues based on that?

Yes, exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.