[General] How to speak fluent and correct English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riya27

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello! I'm a student and I've been looking for answers about improving my fluency in English accompanied by the use of new words and proper grammar. I have an average knowledge in English (just like any college student) and have a pretty scanty vocabulary..:-( I lose hold on new words very quickly, especially, when I don't use them on a regular basis.. So, I have this whole trouble in speaking a good English and want some really good and helpful suggestions for that.. I also tried reading some books on improving fluency in English but they seem to be too lengthy with lots of useless stuff and very boring also. I wanted an easy approach towards it. Please do write me your expert suggestions. It will be really helpful! Thank You :)

Attention:- Above, in the title it is 'Correct' and not 'Coreect'... Sorry for the poor typing!

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, Riya.

Some members may have a few techniques that they have found helped them, but I am afraid there is no easy way to learn a foreign language. If there were, we'd all be using it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I fixed your thread title. I certainly know about making typing mistakes.

If you have the word "scanty" then it's a sign you have a decent vocabulary.

Don't try to read books on how to improve your fluency - just read books in English (or article or stories) that you enjoy reading. I have heard many learners say that that's how they developed a "feel" for how things should sound. And keep English language sounds around you too - youtube, podcasts, streaming radio stations, etc.

Riya27

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you both for your suggestions and for fixing my thread title error.. I hope your idea helps.. :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I lose hold on new words very quickly, especially, when I don't use them on a regular basis

This is very common- we have to use words repeatedly to get them into out long-term memory.Don't try to learn a lot at a time and recycle them a lot. When you learn a new word, learnt the different forms it has, which makes the learning more economical as you can often learn several related words for the effort of learning one.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker.

If you want to speak English fluently, I would (or will, I don't know) advise you talking to yourself. Probably, you think it's strange, but it's really usefully.
I have been talking to myself in front of the mirror for a long time and I dare to say that my speaking skills have improved.

I'm learning English, Spanish and Arabic. Moreover I know a little bit Italian, Portuguese and German. I want to say that there is not easy way to learn any foreign language. The more you study the more you'll get. (Don't think that this phrase is correct).

Boris.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you want to speak English fluently, I would (or will, I don't know) advise you talking to yourself. Probably, you think it's strange, but it's really usefully.
I have been talking to myself in front of the mirror for a long time and I dare to say that my speaking skills have improved.

As a variation, you could try interviewing yourself- I do that sometimes as it practises questions too.

Y

Yiagos

As Barb_D said

one good thing to improve our skills is reading books which love them. To be more specific I am an Electrical Engineer so it is easier for me to read a book on Electronics, Power Systems, Advanced Mathematics, Computer Science and so on. Because I am familiar with most of jargon. Similarly, it is easier to post on forums related to technology (e.g. PC overclocking forums).
On the other hand, I feel uncomfortable to read a historical book or posting on general discussion forums like this.
I would like to emphasize that there is not a shortcut for learning, except by doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.