hypothetical - unlikely or probable or counterfactual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In A, "if it were fine tomorrow" seems to have some possibility, though a little, but in B, "I would retire next year" seems like a counterfactual thing.
Sometimes I'm confused with the meaning of "hypothetical". From scientific perspetive, it seems like a possible result, but these two and others in conditionals make more sense to me.
Is there only one definition or more for "hypothetical"?

A.Hypothetical Conditionals, future time
When speakers present an action or state in hypothetical conditional terms, they are stating that
the hypothetical [non-]occurrence or [non]-existence of a future action or state is a consequence
of some unlikely, hypothetical prior action or state:
1. If it were fine tomorrow, we would have a barbecue

B.Counterfactual Conditionals
1. Present counterfactual state, future hypothetical consequence:
I would retire next year if I had more savings (now).

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If this is too hard to answer, could you just tell me the difference between "hypothetical" and "predictive"? Which has a higher chance?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it were fine tomorrow

I can't imagine a situation where someone would talk about tomorrow's weather like that.

Now, maybe in July (when it's Summer) someone might say "If it were to snow tomorrow, we could go skiing." Then it is clearly a situation that is in the future and yet counter factual.

To answer your question, I would think that "predictive" is more likely to happen than "hypothetical."

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My first encounter with "hypothesis" or "hypothetical" was with scientific ones, which claim something is true based on actual facts and experiments. So scientific ones seem to denote more real and actual thoeries, but liguistic terms seem to denote more imaginary, less real ones, which confuse me.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A scientific "hypothesis" is unproven when it is made. An experiment is set up to test the hypothesis and to see if it is true or false.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Now, maybe in July (when it's Summer) someone might say "If it were to snow tomorrow, we could go skiing." Then it is clearly a situation that is in the future and yet counter factual.
Tomorrow's weather has not occurred yet, so we can't say it's counterfactual. The possibility of snow may be infinitesimal, but it's still there.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can't imagine a situation where someone would talk about tomorrow's weather like that.

A pessimist might, but the first conditional strikes me as a more natural form to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.