[Grammar] I’ll bet you anything. All my coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(From the movie Ready Player One)

cORAJ0o.jpg

I’ll bet you anything. All my coin.

Why is it "All my coin" rather than "All my coins"?

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
Not a teacher

"Plenty of coin" (from the dictionary example) is a common phrase. But the line from Ready Player One is unconventional. To me, it sounds like the writers are trying to make it sound futuristic/digital. He is referring to his currency within the Oasis (virtual reality metaverse). So calling his money "coin" sounds like he's referring to the currency within the Oasis, not his government backed currency used outside of the virtual world. You can also see this singular usage of "coin" with "bitcoin" which is both singular and plural.

Last edited by a moderator:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"Plenty of coin" (from the dictionary example) is a common phrase. But the line from Ready Player One is unconventional. To me, it sounds like the writers are trying to make it sound futuristic/digital. He is referring to his currency within the Oasis (virtual reality metaverse). So calling his money "coin" sounds like he's referring to the currency within the Oasis, not his government backed currency used outside of the virtual world. You can also see this singular usage of "coin" with "bitcoin", which is both singular and plural.

For your "singular", I would call it "uncountable", and for your "plural", I would call it "countable". :)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes – your thoughts have been endorsed by two Scottish pickpockets of my acquaintance – Rob McOyne and Nick McAshe.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
slevlife, please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Not a teacher

"Plenty of coin" (from the dictionary example) is a common phrase. But the line from Ready Player One is unconventional. To me, it sounds like the writers are trying to make it sound futuristic/digital. He is referring to his currency within the Oasis (virtual reality metaverse). So calling his money "coin" sounds like he's referring to the currency within the Oasis, not his government backed currency used outside of the virtual world. You can also see this singular usage of "coin" with "bitcoin" which is both singular and plural.

Coin can be used as slang for government-backed money in British English,

Status
Not open for further replies.