I’ve got two boys with Uncle Sam myself, so I didn’t mind to oblige you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Here's the final paragraph of the short story by S.I. Kishor 'Appointment with Love'. What does the last sentence mean?

"The woman’s face broadened in a tolerant smile. “I don’t know what this is all about, son,” she answered. “That young lady in the green suit – the one who just went by - begged me to wear this rose on my coat. And she said that if you asked me to go out with you, I should tell you that she’s waiting for you in that big restaurant across the street. She said it was some kind of a test. I’ve got two boys with Uncle Sam myself, so I didn’t mind to oblige you.”

Could it mean that the woman's sons are in the army too, like the main character, so she wanted to help him?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Uncle Sam is a nickname Americans use for their government and its various branches - the military in this case. The speaker's sons could be in the navy, the marines, or the coast guard. (The language sounds like the story dates from WWII, That would rule out the Air Force, which hadn't been split from the army at that time.)

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Uncle Sam is a nickname Americans use for their government and its various branches - the military in this case. The speaker's sons could be in the navy, the marines, or the coast guard. (The language sounds like the story dates from WWII, That would rule out the Air Force, which hadn't been split from the army at that time.)

Is the language dated compared to the present time? Is it the style or the use of words and phrases that makes this impression? If it's the words, which ones?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
These days, nobody says 'so I didn't mind to oblige you'.

Status
Not open for further replies.