Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Is "get something clean" a correct phrase?
Eg. "I can't get this keyboard clean"
my intent is to say that the keyboard is built in such a way that it's hard to clean

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's OK.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is "get something clean" a correct phrase?
Eg. For example, "I can't get this keyboard clean".
M
y intent is to say that the keyboard is built in such a way that it's hard to clean.
Your example sentence is OK. However, it doesn't suggest that it's the design of the keyboard that's the problem. It is entirely unclear why you can't get it clean. It could be that you're using a product that isn't working well. It could be that you're not rubbing hard enough. There are lots of possibilities. If you want to say what you said in your last sentence, say "I can't get this keyboard clean because of the way it's designed".

You must remember to start every new sentence with a capital letter and end every sentence with one appropriate closing punctuation mark.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Your example sentence is OK. However, it doesn't suggest that it's the design of the keyboard that's the problem. It is entirely unclear why you can't get it clean. It could be that you're using a product that isn't working well. It could be that you're not rubbing hard enough. There are lots of possibilities. If you want to say what you said in your last sentence, say "I can't get this keyboard clean because of the way it's designed".
Ty for the input. I just noticed you're right. The intent is unclear; I should've actually rephrased my requirement as "my intent is to say that the keyboard is built in such a way that it's hard to clean or at least make it not appear like the reason for it being unclean is personal fault, as in 'I'm unable to clean this keyboard'".
You must remember to start every new sentence with a capital letter and end every sentence with one appropriate closing punctuation mark.
Yeah, I know. I'm just used to a casual chat-grammar-style of writing on my PC.
Eg. For example, "I can't get this keyboard clean".
Why can a sentence not be started with "e.g."? I've read that it's a rule but never found any reasoning for it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ty Thank you for the input. I just noticed you're right. The intent is unclear; I should've actually rephrased my requirement as "My intent is to say that the keyboard is built in such a way that it's hard to clean" or at least make it not appear like the reason for it being unclean is personal someone's fault, as in 'I'm unable to clean this keyboard'".
"I can't get this keyboard clean" could also suggest that it's someone fault (or at least their failing).
"ty" does not exist in English.
Yeah Yes, I know. I'm just used to a casual chat -grammar- style of writing on my PC.
That's fine but reserve it for chat rooms and similar. We expect to see full grammatical sentences and complete words on the forum.
Why can a sentence not be started with "e.g."? I've read that it's a rule but never found any reasoning for it.
To be honest, I don't know why. Sometimes we just have to accept that something is true.