[General] I can't understand this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Sara*

Member Type
Student or Learner
I read these lines in the author's introduction of a book:
"So, promising to make up for my lack of further prelude by what I only hope may not be deemed my too frequen interludes, I will with your permission proceed at once to "spin my yarn" in my own way."

I would like to have an explanation because I'm not able to understand it!
Thank you in advance..

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Whoever this "author" is should submit a few posts here. I know that some authors take many liberties when writing but this guy (unisex) needs help. What is the title of the book?

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I read these lines in the author's introduction of a book:
"So, promising to make up for my lack of further prelude by what I only hope may not be deemed my too frequent interludes, I will with your permission proceed at once to "spin my yarn" in my own way."

I would like to have an explanation because I'm not able to understand it!
Thank you in advance..

مرخلبً *sara*
"to spin my yarn" = to tell my incredible stories.
I hope, you will manage with the rest.
S.M.

*Sara*

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you for helping..
I would like to have more explanation for this phrase,
"by what I only hope may not be deemed my too frequent interludes"
Again, thanks to all!

Editors4Writers

Member Type
English Teacher
"So, promising to make up for my lack of further prelude by what I only hope may not be deemed my too frequent interludes, I will with your permission proceed at once to 'spin my yarn' in my own way."

Let's break this down:

1. "So, promising to make up for my lack of further prelude..."

2. "...by what I only hope may not be deemed my too frequent interludes,"

3. "I will..."

4. "with your permission"

5. "proceed at once to 'spin my yarn' in my own way."

There is a preponderance of extraneous information here. (There's a lot of useless information here.) :lol:

What is the context? It's difficult to decipher, but I'll go off what you've provided. If we reduce the sentence to its most basic meaning, we can interpret the author's meaning as: I'll continue to do things the way I see fit. OR, with even greater simplicity, I'll do things my way.

That's what he or she is trying to say.

To go into further analysis:

"So [transitional phrase, perhaps a conclusion to ideas discussed in a paragraph], promising to make up for my lack of further prelude by what I only hope may not be deemed my too frequent interludes [nonrestrictive clause (unnecessary information)], I will with your permission (restrictive clause (vital information that indicates the author's consideration of the reader) proceed at once to 'spin my yarn' in my own way."

I hope this helps. :up:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have to say that if I read this gobbledegook in the introduction of a book, that's as far as I would get with it. I could only expect more of the same convoluted prose in the following chapters.

I recommend that you find a different book, Sara, as you're not going to be able to understand the rest of it, either.

Rover

*Sara*

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you all, you are really helping..
Oh Rover, I'd like to consider your advice but unfortunately I am supposed to read this book, that's my work.
I guess, the author is not that good in english, so that's why am askin for the help of native american's or british. Because they can really help me although they seem confused to explain such phrases but still a native can understand this author much better than me.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sara,

Sara,

What work do you do that requires you to read it?

I don't wish to be unkind, but the standard of your own English in post #7 leaves a lot to be desired.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you all, you are really helping..
Oh Rover, I'd like to consider your advice but unfortunately I am supposed to read this book, that's my work.
I guess, the author is not that good in english, so that's why am askin for the help of native american's or british. Because they can really help me although they seem confused to explain such phrases but still a native can understand this author much better than me.

The author is perfectly good at English - it's just very old-fashioned, wordy English of a type not used any more! I wish you the best of luck - I had trouble making sense of that opening paragraph and if the rest of the book is written the same way, you're going to be spending a lot of time on the forum.

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher
It's a bit of self-referential humor. The author is essentially saying s/he plans to digress (add unnecessary information) throughout the text to compensate for a short introduction. Then s/he is needlessly complicating things right there in the introduction by digressing! I might read this book; it sounds entertaining. However, it does sound a bit advanced for an English learner.

Status
Not open for further replies.