[General] I don’t think there’s a Starbucks rule there to force people...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Kris and I were in a new Starbucks. When we came in (still a bit far from the counter) the waiter asked if we wanted to drink something. Because the waiter was in loud voice and not very nice, Kris asked me if we would be asked to get out of there if we didn’t buy a cup of drink there. I then said to Kris:

I don’t think there’s a Starbucks rule there to force people who don’t purchase drinks there; we can sit there as we want.

The above sentence is factually true. The same situation could be applied to McDonald’s and KFC restaurants here.

Is my italic sentence natural?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No — for a start you've used 'there' too often and inappropriately.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And the first clause doesn't say what the customers aren't being forced to do.

Start over on this one. :)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
My friend Kris and I [STRIKE]were in[/STRIKE] went into a new Starbucks. When we were [STRIKE]came in ([/STRIKE] still a bit far from the counter, the [STRIKE]waiter[/STRIKE] person serving asked if we wanted to drink something. Because [STRIKE]the waiter[/STRIKE] he/she was [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] loud [STRIKE]voice[/STRIKE] and not very nice, Kris asked me [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] whether we [STRIKE]would[/STRIKE] might be asked to get out [STRIKE]of there[/STRIKE] if we didn’t buy something. [STRIKE]a cup of drink there.[/STRIKE] I then said to Kris:

I don’t think there’s a Starbucks rule [STRIKE]there to force[/STRIKE] requiring people who don’t purchase something to leave. [STRIKE]drinks there;[/STRIKE] We can stay. [STRIKE]sit there as we want. [/STRIKE]

The above sentence is factually true. The same situation could be applied to McDonald’s and KFC restaurants here.
What do you mean by that?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No — for a start you've used 'there' too often and inappropriately.

Got it. I didn't notice that there were four "there" in the sentence.

And the first clause doesn't say what the customers aren't being forced to do.

I notice that teechar already corrected my sentences. I'm sorry for the delay; I wasn't on the computer.

What do you mean by that?

We can stay at any Starbucks here without buying a cup of drink and so can we in McDonald's and KFC here. We don't need to buy anything there but we can sit there and, say, have an English club.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We can [STRIKE]stay at[/STRIKE] sit in any Starbucks here without [STRIKE]buying a cup of[/STRIKE] food or drink. [STRIKE]and so can[/STRIKE] We can do the same in McDonald's and KFC here. We don't need to buy anything [STRIKE]there[/STRIKE] but we can sit there and, say, have an English club.

Please note my corrections above.

Status
Not open for further replies.