Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've just read a short story called The Eye, by Savio Pham (a native of Bozeman, Montana*) in the March/April 2023 edition of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, in which a character refuses an offer of coffee, saying 'I drink hot breel', an infusion of breel roots. All we learn about this beverage is that it has 'undeniable health benefits, though too earthy for some'.
Mysteriously, OneLook.com is singularly unhelpful about breel, and the only link I can find about it from Google is a website offering to sell me a selection of breel mugs..
Is anybody else's curiosity piqued about this plant?
*Hands up if you remember Sheldon decamping to Bozeman in The Big Bang Theory. :cool:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is it possible that this is an entirely fictional beverage?

By the way, those mugs relate to the Cameroonian footballer Breel Embolo. They have a picture of him on them.

Last edited:

Martin45

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've just read a short story called The Eye, by Savio Pham (a native of Bozeman, Montana*) in the March/April 2023 edition of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, in which a character refuses an offer of coffee, saying 'I drink hot breel', an infusion of breel roots. All we learn about this beverage is that it has 'undeniable health benefits, though too earthy for some'.
Mysteriously, OneLook.com is singularly unhelpful about breel, and the only link I can find about it from Google is a website offering to sell me a selection of breel mugs..
Is anybody else's curiosity piqued about this plant?
*Hands up if you remember Sheldon decamping to Bozeman in The Big Bang Theory. :cool:
Not a teacher

Absolutely, that's an intriguing detail! The way the author weaves unique elements like "hot breel" into the story adds an air of mystery. It seems like breel is a cleverly crafted fictional element that sparks curiosity. While it's fascinating to ponder, sometimes authors create these nuances to enhance the fictional world. Perhaps it's a creative touch to keep us guessing. Let's appreciate the author's artistry in crafting such engaging mysteries!

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd like a cup of hot breel, please! :coffee: