I expect <myself> to be back within a week.

WilliamTaft

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
An example sentence using "expect" in Longman Contemporary: I expect to be back within a week.

Can I say "I expect myself to be back within a week?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word "myself" adds nothing. What it does do is call attention to itself. Anybody hearing that will wonder why the sentence was phrased that way.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, you can, but only if it you want to emphasise that you're talking about yourself rather than someone else. This may be done contrastively, for example.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@WilliamTaft Can you provide some context in which you want to use that sentence? (Even if a sentence is possible that doesn't mean there will ever be an occasion to use it.)

WilliamTaft

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can you provide some context in which you want to use that sentence? (Even if a sentence is possible that doesn't mean there will ever be an occasion to use it.)
Thank you, Tarheel.
I didn't have that context.
I just try to understand the difference between the two constructions: "expect to do" and "expect someone to do."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@WilliamTaft What I expect you to do is provide a complete sentence using the phrase(s) in question.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I didn't don't have that any context. I am just trying to understand the difference between the two constructions no colon here "expect to do" and "expect someone to do."
In that case, come up with a new example, one for which you can actually think of a context. It's a waste of your time and ours to work on a sentence there is no use for.