Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi!
What would be the most appropriate tense for the B's response in the dialog given below?

A: You look surprised.
B: Yeah, I didn't expect / I haven't expected you to visit me.

Please explain why one tense is chosen over the other.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Abe: You look surprised.
Bob: I wasn't expecting you.

I use whatever tense is appropriate -- usually without thinking about it. (It's because I don't think about it that makes answering those "why" questions so hard.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Tarheel has given you the most natural response. However, of the two options you provided, only "I didn't expect you to visit me" is grammatically correct.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi!
What would be the most appropriate tense for the B's response in the dialog given below?
See above.
Please explain why one tense is chosen over the other.
That's actually a good question, and the answer is not all that obvious. The present perfect "haven't expected" doesn't really work in the context above, perhaps because it suggests the expecting happened in the past but is still relevant. Whatever the reason, you won't find many sentences using it. For example, on fraze.it, you get only one hit for it.

However, the present perfect continuous works with that verb, so "I've been expecting you to visit me" is possible and so is its negative version. This suggests the expecting started some time in the past and continues right up to the present.

I appreciate that figuring out which tenses can work with the various verbs in English can be daunting for learners, but I can assure you that the more you read and listen to a broad range of native English material, the easier it'll become to learn the use of tenses. It's all about exposure and practice.

astepforward

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I think about it this way the present relevance of not expecting in the past is that B is looking surprised at the doorstep right now. When I use the perfect aspect I am willing to stress this relevance.
If the present perfect continuous works with 'expect' would this tense choice (B: Yeah, I haven't been expecting you.) be also possible for the dialog scenario? I am not sure if the most natural response (B: Yeah, I wasn't expecting you.) conveys the same emphasis on this relevance.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@astepforward Two things. One, surprise is the reaction to something unexpected. Two, I'm not at all sure how to work your version into a sentence.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Where did you hear this? Or did you make it up yourself?

As post #2 suggests, it would be more likely for someone to use the past continuous in this context:

I wasn't expecting you to visit me.

astepforward

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I made the dialogue up myself, but there are some examples of the 'didn't expect' usage on context.reverso.net (e.g. No, but I didn't expect you today.). As mentioned earlier I want to use the perfect aspect to explain what has led to the surprised facial impression. You suggest the need for a progressive tense for the verb 'expect', then I would like to ask if 'I haven't been expecting you.' would be also applicable in that context.

I am trying to achieve something similar to these:

A: There is some mud on your white shoes.
B: Very probable, I haven't cleaned them too carefully. (Isn't the present perfect tense a better choice than 'I didn't clean them too carefully.'?)

A: Your hair looks a little bit messy.
B: Yeah, I've been driving my car with the top down. (Isn't the present perfect continuous tense a better choice than 'I was driving my car with the top down.'?)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, the present perfect simple isn't good for the context in post #1, and neither is the present perfect continuous. Use either the past simple or the past continuous.

astepforward

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How about the dialogues in post #7, is my reasoning correct there?

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
A: There is some mud on your white shoes.
B: Very probable, I haven't cleaned them too carefully. (Isn't the present perfect tense a better choice than 'I didn't clean them too carefully.'?)
No.

I didn't clean them very carefully
- past-time (non-)event.
I haven't cleaned them yet/today. - period of time extending up the the present moment.
A: Your hair looks a little bit messy.
B: Yeah, I've been driving my car with the top down. (Isn't the present perfect continuous tense a better choice than 'I was driving my car with the top down.'?)
Both are possible. I would use the present perfect form

astepforward

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How about this scenario?

A: Why are you working here instead of studying?
B: I haven't been accepted to college, that's why. (Isn't the present perfect tense a better choice here than I wasn't accepted to college, even though the recruitment deadline was, let's say, two months ago.)
I believe the period of time of the acceptance process is not extending up the the present moment, right?

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
It depends on the full context. If the person believes there is still a chance they will be offered a place, then the present perfect is appropriate, though they'd probably add 'yet'. If they have given up the idea of going to college, then the past simple is appropriate,

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To avoid confusion, I suggest we stick to questions either about the specific context in post #1 or to general questions about the appropriacy of using the present perfect.

astepforward

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Let's stick to general questions about the appropriacy of using the present perfect. My examples from posts #1 #8 #14 reflect situations when I doubt which tense to use. I've been taught that we should use the present perfect aspect when talking about a past action that influences the present (present relevance/result/effect) and the time of that action is not strictly stated. What I know is to use this tense in some kind of 'explanatory manner'. What I can notice now based on your answers is that the past simple or continuous tenses can work in such cases as well or even are the only possible grammatical choice. I still hardly understand when to choose one over another.

Another example:

A: Why isn't Jake at the party?
B: He is not here because he has broken his leg. (He broke his leg?)

To show the similarity between example given above and that from post #1, let's rephrase B's utterance as "I am surprised because I haven't expected you."

I hope you understand what my doubts are about.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Abe: Why isn't Jake at the party?
Bob: He broke his leg

Note the question form: Why + verb (isn't) + subject (Jake).

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
. I still hardly understand when to choose one over another.
Keep noting examples you come across. In time you will develop a feel for the appropriate form. Don't worry too much about 'difficult' situations. As you have seen, a case can sometimes be made for two or even three or more different tenses/aspects.
A case can be made for either form.
To show the similarity between example given above and that from post #1, let's rephrase B's utterance as "I am surprised because I haven't expected you."
Let's not. that sentence is about a different situation.

Remember that in real life native speakers don't think consciously about the tenses and aspects they are going to use when talking about a situation. They use the forms that seem come to mind at the instant of speaking.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Another example:

Yes, good example. The present is an ideal tense to use here.

I hope you understand what my doubts are about.

Your question as I understand it is about why the present perfect doesn't work in the specific context of post #1. Look for differences, not similarities.

As teechar said in post #4, at the moment of speaking, the speaker no longer expects his interlocutor not to come, so a present tense doesn't work. Whether he uses past simple or past continuous, the focus is on past time, i.e., the moment just before person A turns up.