I give my mom full credit for making me the person who I am today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As far as mothers go, I got lucky. “Is that really your mom?”--said in the most incredulous of tone--was a constant refrain when I was growing up. Now that I’m an adult, I see what the fuss was about. My mother is cool--way cooler than average. Not only that, she is so gorgeous and youthful that she could pass for my very hip older sister.
Being a single mother of two couldn’t have been easy, but she made it work. She was a fun and cool girlfriend to have growing up, but was also authoritative enough that even now as adults, she still makes us quake in our boots.
I give my mom full credit for making me the person who I am today. And as a tribute to her, I’d like to share some of the things I learned from her.

Source: https://pulptastic.com/10-things-my-cool-mom-taught-me/

I give my mom full credit for making me the person who I am today.

I have an impression that a person having a higher social position gives a person with a lower social position credit for doing something good. Is my impression correct? If so, this sentence should be reworded. What about these versions?
(1) Thanks to my mother, I’m the person I am today.
(2) The reason why I am today is all due to my mother.
(3) I have my mother to thank for my success.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is nothing wrong with the original at all. Your understanding of "giving someone full credit for doing something" is completely wrong. It has absolutely nothing to do with social position and I don't know where you got that idea from.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Your have expressed it differently with no mention about "credit", the keyword.

Status
Not open for further replies.