• Exciting news! With our new Ad-Free Premium Subscription you can enjoy a distraction-free browsing experience while supporting our site's growth. Without ads, you have less distractions and enjoy faster page load times. Upgrade is optional. Find out more here, and enjoy ad-free learning with us!

[Grammar] I have a doubt about the British accent.

Not open for further replies.

Douglas dos Santos

Watching some British movies and series, I noticed that the speakers usually use the sound /a/ instead of "schwa" in the end of some words, such as "suffer", "differ", "better" and "water". Is this affirmation right? Can I say that this is one of the linguistic phenomena in the English language?

Thanks y'all!!!!!


Senior Member
Dec 11, 2009
Member Type
Student or Learner
Yes, I'd say some accents in Britain would be using an 'a' sounding vowel at the end of such words. Most likely a broad cockney accent - around the London area.

This is shown in how such speakers type in their own dialect - 'bruvva' for 'brother', 'whateva' for 'whatever'.
Not open for further replies.