[Grammar] I have added those items to the list vs I added those items to the list

Status
Not open for further replies.

farhankhan2007

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello all,

Could someone please help me with picking up the right sentence from the below ones.
My boss asked me add a few items to our list which I already did and now I want to reply back to him stating that I have done what he's asked me to do.

1) I have added those items to the list.
2) I added those items to the list.
3) I did add those items to the list.

Can I reply back just with the first one which is a present perfect? But when I think I dont see a present connection with it. Again when I checked with the usage of present perfect it says we can use it for actions where time is not known or not important. So which rule do I follow?

The second and the third one states that the action is completed in the past.

Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Number 1 is the most natural choice. The present perfect says the current state is that you have completed the action in question.

Number 2 is also possible, but the simple past is more likely with a few more words like ...as you asked.

Don't use number 3, which sounds defensive or like you're denying something. (We use do as an auxiliary to add emphasis or to contradict a negative assertion; you might say "I did add those items" if your boss had said "Why didn't you take care of that list?". )

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you want to use number 2, just add the time you did it (like yesterday, 1 hour ago, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.