Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1. Following our meeting, I have requested they amend the quotation and submit it to us without further delay.
1. Following our meeting, I have requested that they amend the quotation and submit it to us without further delay.

Would please tell me which sentence is grammatically correct? Is the word "that" required in the sentence above?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say: "I asked them to ...."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you certain you mean "quotation" (when you use someone else's words) and not "quote" (an estimate of the cost of something)?

Lorrgood

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
England
I agree with Tarheel that it would be simpler (and probably better style) to say "I asked them to amend....", but to answer your question, I would always include 'that' (as in your second sentence) when writing. However, in spoken English, the first sentence is acceptable and would be used by many people, and in the second sentence, the word 'that' would be said in its weak form (using schwa).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Holmes

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. [. . .] I have requested they amend the quotation and submit it to us without further delay.
1. [. . .] I have requested that they amend the quotation and submit it to us without further delay.

Would please tell me which sentence is grammatically correct? Is the word "that" required in the sentence above?
Both your examples are correct without "Following the meeting," which, at least in my opinion, renders the present perfect ("have requested") unacceptable. "Following the meeting" is equivalent to "After the meeting." The present perfect doesn't work with such adverbials. But the past simple ("requested") would be fine:

1. Following the meeting, I requested they amend the quotation and submit it to us without further delay.
2. Following the meeting, I requested that they amend the quotation and submit it to us without further delay.

"That" can be omitted when it introduces a clause forming a complement to a verb. For example, "He said that it was fine" can be changed to "He said it was fine." Retaining "that" is advisable in such cases only when the subject of the complement clause could momentarily be mistaken for the direct object of the verb. In your example, that is impossible, since "they" is a subjective-case pronoun. But consider the following example pair:

3. He requested the forms be mailed immediately.
4. He requested that the forms be mailed immediately.

In (3), the reader may, for at least a fraction of a second, mistakenly parse "the forms" as the direct object of "requested," since it is possible to say "He requested the forms." If "that" is used, however, it is clear that "the forms" is to be parsed as the subject of a clause that is being introduced. Notice that in your example, the parsing "I have requested they" would be ungrammatical. Because "they" cannot be the direct object, "that" is not needed.

Last edited:

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
Both your examples are correct without "Following the meeting," which, at least in my opinion, renders the present perfect ("have requested") unacceptable. "Following the meeting" is equivalent to "After the meeting." The present perfect doesn't work with such adverbials. But the past simple ("requested") would be fine:
I think that it is also possible to see following the meeting as equivalent to since the meeting or as a result of the meeting, which makes the present perfect possible.

PRD2021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Are you certain you mean "quotation" (when you use someone else's words) and not "quote" (an estimate of the cost of something)?
It is cost estimate