Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello everyone

I have written about organic farming in two paragraphs. I have some doubts about the underlined parts. I would appreciate your comments.

Chemical fertilizers that are used in non-organic farming can have a detrimental impact on both people and the environment. Organic products are bereft of chemical fertilizers. Not only is organic farming eco-friendly, but it is also the right way to cultivate products from a health perspective.

On the other hand, it has been proven that organic farming methods are not cost-effective. Organic farming requires a larger piece of land and it is also water-intensive. Our country is located in an arid region of the world and is known to be water-stressed and cultivating in an organic way is not practical in this region.

I would really be grateful if you would tell me how I can make this better.

This is a formal writing.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
bereft is not the right word.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
bereft is not the right word.

Thanks.

Is that the only problem? Is the rest okay?

Why is bereft not correct? And what can I use instead?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
And also, is this sentence correct?

Not only is organic farming eco-friendly, but it is also the right way to cultivate products in terms of human health.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] Also, is this sentence correct?

Not only is organic farming eco-friendly, but it is also the [STRIKE]right[/STRIKE] best way to cultivate [STRIKE]products[/STRIKE] produce [STRIKE]in terms of[/STRIKE] with regard to human health.

See above.

Things that are grown are not called "products". I have used "produce" (uncountable).

Please don't use "And also" - it's tautologous.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
See above.

Things that are grown are not called "products". I have used "produce" (uncountable).

Please don't use "And also" - it's tautologous.

Can I use "crop" instead of "produce"? Could you kindly take a quick look at this?

Chemical fertilizers that are used in non-organic farming can have a detrimental impact on both people and the environment. Organic farmers do not use chemical fertilizers. Not only is organic farming eco-friendly, but it is also the best way to cultivate crops in terms of

On the other hand, it has been proven that organic farming methods are not cost-effective. Organic farming requires a larger piece of land and it is also water-intensive. Our country is located in an arid region of the world and is known to be water-stressed and cultivating in an organic way is not practical in this region.

The reason I made "in terms of" red is that for some obscure reason I want to somehow use it in this context. How can I?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Crop? No. Crops? Yes.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Crop? No. Crops? Yes.

Yes. I used crops.

Chemical fertilizers that are used in non-organic farming can have a detrimental impact on both people and the environment. Organic farmers do not use chemical fertilizers. Not only is organic farming eco-friendly, but it is also the best way to cultivate crops in terms of

Could you please tell me how I can use "in terms of"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, I can't figure out why you insist on putting your text entirely in bold print. Two, you need to answer the question "In terms of what?"

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In terms of being healthy or something like that.

Chemical fertilizers that are used in non-organic farming can have a detrimental impact on both people and the environment. Organic farmers do not use chemical fertilizers. Not only is organic farming eco-friendly, but it is also the best way to cultivate crops in terms of being healthy for humans.

Is there no way I can use "in terms of"?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would say "cultivate crops which are healthy for human consumption".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In terms of being healthy or something like that.

Chemical fertilizers that are used in non-organic farming can have a detrimental impact on both people and the environment. Organic farmers do not use chemical fertilizers. Not only is organic farming eco-friendly, but it is also the best way to cultivate crops in terms of being healthy for humans.

Is there no way I can use "in terms of"?

Perhaps:

in terms of human health

I don't like it much. (It seems forced.)

Perhaps:

Not only is organic farming eco-friendly, but the produce from organic farms is better for you.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Are you suggesting that "in terms of" cannot be used in this context at all in a natural way?

Maybe you can help me rephrase some parts.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you suggesting that "in terms of" cannot be used in this context at all in a natural way?

Well, I haven't seen one I'm happy with, but in terms of human health is, I think, OK. My other suggestion is less formal and more conversational. I guess it depends on what kind of tone you're looking for.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
So, this is the final draft:

Chemical fertilizers that are used in non-organic farming can have a detrimental impact on both people and the environment. Organic farmers do not use chemical fertilizers. Not only is organic farming eco-friendly, but it is also the best way to cultivate crops in terms of human health.

I would appreciate your final feedback.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I only have two suggestions. One, make that two paragraphs. (Space after human health.) Two, put a comma after water-stressed. (I would use farming instead of cultivating, but the original is OK.)

(My opinion.)

Status
Not open for further replies.