I haven't got several jobs because my VBA wasn't up to scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I know the meaning of scratch but can't understand its meaning in the end of following sentence:

That's how I learn't so much stuff. But it minded me, some companies insist on VBA as a minimum requirement, That just makes so much sense. And yes, I haven't got several jobs because my VBA wasn't up to scratch.

Is it an idiom?

my VBA wasn't up to scratch.
It's an idiomatic phrase. Not up to scratch = not good enough.

Please tell us your source. Also, I think there's a mistake in the words you quoted.
But it minded me,
This is probably "reminded". There are a couple of other mistakes too.

Last edited:
@yabi Where did you find that sentence? You must quote your source every time you copy something you didn't write yourself.

A similar variation you might encounter is 'up to snuff'.

Webster's and Cambridge suggest that 'snuff' is the AmE version, while 'scratch' is the BrE version. 'Snuff' is certainly more common in my area, but I'm not sure if that represents the entire US or not.

Here in Canada you may hear either. Scratch is also used of golf. A scratch golfer is one whose handicap is zero, in other words a very good player.

I copied the sentence from https://www.mrexcel.com It was about a user's personal experience with Macro in Excel. I will try to find the exact post and send it. But I am curious why should I quote the source?
It's an idiomatic phrase. Not up to scratch = not good enough.

Please tell us your source. Also, I think there's a mistake in the words you quoted.

This is probably "reminded". There are a couple of other mistakes too

But I am curious why should I quote the source?
It's a legal requirement. We have strict copyright laws in the UK, where the forum is based. Whenever you quote someone else's words, you must quote the source and the author.

I copied the sentence from https://www.mrexcel.com It was about a user's personal experience with Macro in Excel. I will try to find the exact post and send it. But I am curious. Why should I quote the source?
I would expect, "I've missed out on several jobs ...."

In any case, I didn't see that sentence there.

I copied from this link:
I found it. It's in there near the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back