I hereby declare that Moderna is the victor vs. I announce that Moderna is the winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
(Background: Now the world has two good vaccines to fight COVID-19. But requirements are different: Pfizer vaccine should be stored at –70°C to ensure its efficacy, while Moderna vaccine can keep it at home refrige temperature (2°C to 8°C) for one month. So Moderna is far more convenient for the world to use it).

The thread supposes a scenario of the competition, the chairman tells the audience who wins. I wonder the ways you native English speakers express:

The Chairman: I hereby declare that Moderna is the victor. (I'm trying to express it in old English used two hundred years ago, not sure I'm close to it or not. How did English people then express it?)

The Chairman: I announce that Moderna is the winner. (I'm trying express it in today's English. How do you native speakers express it? I remember Harry Potter - "Gryffindor wins!" * So I guess the chairman would simply say "Moderna wins!" But the fatasy novel is too peculiar to use it directly in reality)

====================
‘Just beautiful’: Another COVID-19 vaccine, from newcomer Moderna, succeeds in large-scale trial

Whereas the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine uses 30 micrograms of mRNA, Moderna’s contains 100. (The company gave an even higher dose of its vaccine in earlier clinical studies, but found it sometimes led to serious side effects.) Both vaccines require two doses separated by several weeks. A key difference is that the Pfizer/BioNTech candidate must be stored at –70°C, whereas Moderna’s can be kept at –20°C. Moderna revealed today that once thawed, its vaccine can remain stable for 30 days at 2°C to 8°C, home refrigerator temperatures. In much of the world, maintaining a cold chain for a –70°C vaccine presents formidable challenges, and even –20°C presents obstacles.

Source: Science Nov. 16, 2020
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...e-newcomer-moderna-succeeds-large-scale-trial

"Gryffindorwins." That used to be a phrase to make Hermione Granger feel a happy thrill. When they beat Slytherin at Quidditch, owing to Harry's excellent performance as Seeker. When Professor Dumbledore gave Gryffindor the "last-minute points" that secured the House Cup for them, not the Slytherins.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
(Background: Now the world has two good vaccines to fight COVID-19 no full stop here but their requirements are different: The Pfizer vaccine should be stored at –70°C to ensure its efficacy, while the Moderna vaccine can [STRIKE]keep it[/STRIKE] be kept at home refrigerator temperatures (2°C to 8°C) for one month. [STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] Consequently, the Moderna vaccine is far more convenient. I'd probably use "practical" there. [STRIKE]for the world to use it).[/STRIKE]

The thread supposes a scenario of the competition, (I don't know what the underlined part means) and the chairman [STRIKE]tells[/STRIKE] is telling the audience who [STRIKE]wins[/STRIKE] has won. I wonder [STRIKE]the ways[/STRIKE] how [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE] native English speakers would express the following:

1. The Chairman: I hereby declare that Moderna is the victor. (I'm trying to express it in old English that was used two hundred years ago. I'm not sure if I'm close to it or not. How did [STRIKE]English people[/STRIKE] native English speakers [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] express it in those days?)

2. The Chairman: I announce that Moderna is the winner. (I'm trying express it in today's English. How do [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE] native speakers express it? I remember Harry Potter - "Gryffindor wins!" * So I guess the chairman would simply say "Moderna wins!" but the fantasy novel is too peculiar (I don't think that's the word you need there) to use it [STRIKE]directly[/STRIKE] in [STRIKE]reality[/STRIKE] real life.)

Please note my corrections (in red) and comments (in blue) above.

Contrary to popular belief, I wasn't around two hundred years ago so I can't confidently say how someone might have said it then. Your suggested sentence sounds OK to me, and not out of place in 1820.
These days, I think the word order would be more natural as "And the winner is ... Moderna".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
These days, I think the word order would be more natural as "And the winner is ... Moderna".
More likely, 'And the winner is [suspensful music] .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

[75 seconds later]
Moderna!'

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The thread supposes a scenario of the competition =====>>>> Suppose it is a competition.

but the fantasy novel is too peculiar to be used in real life ====>>>> but the fantasy novel is too fanciful to be used in real life

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The thread supposes a scenario of the competition. =====>>>> Suppose it is a competition.

But the fantasy novel is too peculiar to be used in real life. ====>>>> But the fantasy novel is too fanciful to be used in real life.
What's the question there?

Victor is a little old-fashioned, but it's still a perfectly good word. You're right, winner is more common.

Be careful about the expression old English, because people might thing you're talking about Old English, capital O, the language of Beowulf. (Chaucer is Middle English. Shakespeare is Modern English.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The thread supposes a scenario of the competition =====>>>> Suppose it is a competition.

but the fantasy novel is too peculiar to be used in real life ====>>>> but the fantasy novel is too fanciful to be used in real life

What's the question there?

No question was required. Those were the OP's responses to my second and third comments/questions in blue in post #2.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think it is tautologous to say "I announce that..." when one is going to make an announcement.

"Hereby" is a dated word but is still found in formal, written, legal notices but definitely not spoken.

Status
Not open for further replies.