I hope they believe they have the power in the wheel to help them to hang on.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There's a newly-opened skatepark called Wheel Power in my neighborhood. I phoned the owner who rents the skatepark and we talked with each other in Chinese because I was interested in knowing that if he/she made a pun of the word "willpower" and chose the name "Wheel Power". I translated (the following) what we said into English.

Silver: This is Silver speaking. Mind if I ask you some questions?
Owner: Sure.
Silver: I notice that there's a skatepark in Jinsha Paradise Walk and name of the park is a good one.
Owner: Thanks a lot, yes, I like it too.
Silver: May I ask why you chose "Wheel Power" as its name? Was it because you were thinking of "willpower"?
Owner: No, not really. The park is just for kids who are under 12. I hope kids will not give up when they fall on the ground. As you can see, it's quite challenging for adults, let alone kids, to skate here. I hope they believe they have the power in the wheel to help them to hang on.
Silver: Yes, it takes courage. Thanks a lot.
Owner: No problem.

The italic sentence is my translation but I don't think it's okay. Please help me with it. :) The intended meaning is "I hope kids believe in themselves that they can hang on to keep stake and practice even though the items are a bit challenging".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I rather like "Wheel Power" because roller skates have wheels. However, the trick is to keep your balance. It has nothing to do with how much power the wheels have. Also, when you are roller skating you don't hang on to anything. There is nothing to hang on to.

Since it's in China I would expect the sign to be in Chinese. However, if it is in English I wouldn't necessarily look for a pun there.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I rather like "Wheel Power" because roller skates have wheels. However, the trick is to keep your balance. It has nothing to do with how much power the wheels have. Also, when you are roller skating you don't hang on to anything. There is nothing to hang on to.

Since it's in China I would expect the sign to be in Chinese. However, if it is in English I wouldn't necessarily look for a pun there.
In my previous thread, I posted a picture of the skatepark.

Usually kids here are not like kids in the US or in the UK, they easily give up if they think something is difficult, for example, to keep one’s balance in those rides.

How can I express the italic sentence correctly and perfectly in English?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As I see it, this is one of those questions that is impossible for those of us who don't know Chinese to answer. We don't know what the speaker means by 'power in the wheel'. (Or rather, we don't know what you think the speaker means.)

We have a few high-level Chinese speakers on the forum here. If you post exactly what the man said in the original Chinese, perhaps one of them will have a go at a translation. Alternatively, use a translation tool. There's obviously some Chinese word that you're thinking of and trying to translate as 'power'.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since I don't know Chinese there is no way I can tell if your translation is a good one. If I were him I might have said the place is for roller skating, and roller skates have wheels. So we named it "Wheel Power". Then for humorous effect I might say, "Isn't that clever?" (That's probably a no-no in China.)

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As I see it, this is one of those questions that is impossible for those of us who don't know Chinese to answer. We don't know what the speaker means by 'power in the wheel'. (Or rather, we don't know what you think the speaker means.)
Much appreciated. Yes, that's why I wrote the italic sentence, which was what the owner tried to express:

The italic sentence is my translation but I don't think it's okay. Please help me with it. :) The intended meaning is "I hope kids believe in themselves that they can hang on to keep stake and practice even though they meet some difficulties".
Could you please help me with this italic sentence?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I might say:

We hope they don't give up too easily.

They will fall. Everybody does. But do you let that discourage you? That's the question. They will see other kids doing it, and that will give them a reason to keep trying.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I hope kids believe in themselves that they can hang on to keep stake and practice even though they meet some difficulties find it difficult.
I've made a couple of corrections and underlined two problematic parts.

By "hang on", do you mean "keep going/keep trying"?
Is "stake" a misspelling of "skate"?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
By "hang on", do you mean "keep going/keep trying"?
Is "stake" a misspelling of "skate"?
Much appreciated, emsr2d2. I meant "keep trying" and yes, sorry, it was a typo, it should have been "skate".

I hope kids believe that they can keep trying to keep skating and practicing even though there are setbacks.

I tried to rewrite it but I still don't think it's okay. Please help me.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I hope they won't give up too easily. They won't get it right right off the bat, but they will learn that persistence pays off with success.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I hope they remain steadfast/persevere and are not daunted by setbacks ( which applies to learning other things). Patience is bitter but its fruit is sweet.

"Wheelpower" is associated more with the wheelchair used by the disabled, rather the the skateboard.
See here.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Much appreciated, emsr2d2. I meant "keep trying" and yes, sorry, it was a typo, it should have been "skate".

I hope kids believe that they can keep trying to keep staking and practicing even though there are setbacks.
You did it again!

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You did it again!
Sorry, I didn’t mean it. Now I understand why. It’s because the autocorrect. I typed skating and it changed it to staking because I used the word stake several times last week. Please help me with my sentence in #9.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, I didn’t mean it to. Now I understand why it's happening. It’s because the of autocorrect. I typed "skating" and it changed it to "staking" because I used the word "stake" several times last week.
Autocorrect isn't infallible. Always check its corrections.
Please help me with my sentence in #9.
I'd say something like "I hope the kids persevere with skating/skateboarding even if they find it difficult".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Silverobama I like the suggestion in post #14, but I also like mine -- two of them!