Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
What rule is the use of 'the' based on when it's used with a verb? When exactly is it optional?
I understand that it's wrong in sentence #4 but is it optional in the other sentences?

1. "What kind of whether do you like the most?"
2. "I like the weather in winter the most."
3. "I like snow the most."
4. "I most like snow."

Both with and and without 'the', most is wrong in #4. I'd say it was optional in the others.

Last edited:
Both with and and without 'the', most is wrong in #4. I'd say it was optional in the others.
But when is it optional and when is it wrong to omit "the"?

This one has been asked and answered many times. Even so, I don't have an answer at hand. You'll probably find one, however, in the "frequently asked questions" section.

A reasonable rule of thumb is that when the word 'most is an adjective, use 'the'. When it's an adverb, you can omit 'the'.

Including by you, Rachel, just over a month ago—HERE.
Thanks for the link. I couldn't find it. I actually wanted to ask if some previous answers are deleted on UE too.
The rule of thumb mentioned by ,5jj wasn't mentioned in that thread. And a native speaker said "You could also say "I most like snow". In this discussion I was told it's wrong.

Well, it wouldn't normally be said that way.

BTW whether/weather

I wouldn't say that "most like" is always wrong. Both of these dialogues are possible:

Helen: Which do you like most - rain, hail or snow?
John: I like snow most.

Helen: Which do you most like - rain, hail or snow?
John: I most like snow.

I wouldn't say that "most like" is always wrong. Both of these dialogues are possible:

Helen: Which do you like most - rain, hail or snow?
John: I like snow most.

Helen: Which do you most like - rain, hail or snow?
John: I most like snow.
Regarding this rule "when 'most is an adjective, use 'the'. When it's an adverb, you can omit 'the'." In this sentence "This is the most interesting book I have ever read" "most" is an adjective, isn't it?

No. It modifies the adjective interesting; it's an adverb.

No. It modifies the adjective interesting; it's an adverb.
Could you provide an example for the rule of thumb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back