Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Hello,

"A:Can you pick us up from the station ?
B:Yes,of course.But could you give me a favor ?Can you wait outside under the clock ?
Because I 'll never get parked in the station car park"

Why on the above sentence used "get +parked" ?!

Couldn't she use "I couldn't park in the station car park"?!

Is it a causative verb?
Thanks in advance.

She could use "I am never likely to get/find an available parking space in the station car park".

We use (informally, BrE) "to get parked" to mean "to find and park in an available parking space".

Did you get parked OK this morning?
Yes, there were loads of spaces outside the station.

What time will you arrive?
It depends how long it takes me to get parked.

(Not a teacher)

Hi nininaz.

"I'll never get parked in the station car park" means more or less the same as "I'll never can park in the station car park" (probably because the parking lot was full).

Get can be used as a causative verb to express the idea that a person wants something to be done, generally by convincing her/him.

In the sentence, B asks A to wait outside the station because she/he thinks or is convinced that parking the car in the station car park will not be possible.

In the case of the causative verb, the idea would require the intevention of a third person who would park the car in the lot for B

Not the same thing.

Last edited:
José Manuel, you failed to state "Not a teacher" at the beginning of your post. Please click on Edit Post and add that information.

Your first statement "I'll never can park in the statin car park" is grammatically incorrect ("I'll never can") and contains a spelling error ("statin").

That phrase would be unusual in AmE. We would likely say "because I can never find a parking space in the parking lot/garage".

Then we can add it to our list of ... "It works in BrE but not in AmE".

We should have been keeping track of these. There is a book here somewhere.

We also talk about "finding a spot."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back