Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I need to be leaving soon.
I need to leave soon.

Is there any special reason to choose the first option - to be leaving - instead of the more simple one - to leave?

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
They basically mean the same, but the first one can be a gentler option.
Compare:
I need to go soon.
and
I need to get going soon.
The one with the -ing suggests that the speaker needs to initiate (or even start getting ready for) the action of going/leaving.
Note also that you need to end your sentences with an appropriate punctuation mark (a full stop in the case of the above sentences).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I need to be leaving soon
I need to leave soon.

Is there any special reason to choose the first option - to be leaving - instead of the more simple one - to leave?
Either is possible (with the second more likely). Context is always the determiner.

shatilof

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
They basically mean the same, but the first one can be a gentler option.
Compare:
I need to go soon.
and
I need to get going soon.
The one with the -ing suggests that the speaker needs to initiate (or even start getting ready for) the action of going/leaving.
Note also that you need to end your sentences with an appropriate punctuation mark (a full stop in the case of the above sentences).
Yes, with "get" it is easier to feel the difference, that is why I avoided it in my examples. Let's say:

I have to go Vs. I have to be going

When would you choose the first or the second version? What would be the context?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think I'd use "I have to be going" on its own. Generally, I'd follow it with "soon" or "now" or even "five minutes ago" (I'd use the latter with a wry smile once I'd realised I'd meant to leave earlier).

I would probably say "I have to go" if I'm in a rush and I'm literally about to put on my coat, grab my bag and exit.

I'd add a time to that if I wanted to make sure that the listener(s) understood that there's a time limit - "I have to go at 10.30".

shatilof

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I don't think I'd use "I have to be going" on its own. Generally, I'd follow it with "soon" or "now" or even "five minutes ago" (I'd use the latter with a wry smile once I'd realised I'd meant to leave earlier).

I would probably say "I have to go" if I'm in a rush and I'm literally about to put on my coat, grab my bag and exit.

I'd add a time to that if I wanted to make sure that the listener(s) understood that there's a time limit - "I have to go at 10.30".
Ok, a different context with the same set of tenses:

When would you say "I will live alone" and when "I will be living alone"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. I will live alone.
2. I will be living alone.

The second seems more natural to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ok, a different context with the same set of tenses:

When would you say "I will live alone" and when "I will be living alone"?
You haven't given us any context! What we say is connected to the context and to what other people are saying.

Helen: What do you think your living situation will be when you're 30?
Adam: I think I'll live alone until I'm about 25 and hopefully after that I'll get married and live with my wife.

Sarah: I gather you're moving to Spain. Where are you going to live?
Emily: I've found an amazing three-bedroomed flat. I'll be living there alone to start with but I imagine other people will move in at some point.

shatilof

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
1. I will live alone.
2. I will be living alone.

The second seems more natural to me.
I know, but I just don't know why and this is in fact my question :D

shatilof

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You haven't given us any context! What we say is connected to the context and to what other people are saying.

Helen: What do you think your living situation will be when you're 30?
Adam: I think I'll live alone until I'm about 25 and hopefully after that I'll get married and live with my wife.

Sarah: I gather you're moving to Spain. Where are you going to live?
Emily: I've found an amazing three-bedroomed flat. I'll be living there alone to start with but I imagine other people will move in at some point.
I have not given any context because I am looking for the proper context for each on the phrases. Now I've got something tangible to think about. Cheers.

P.S. By the way, isn't it just "a three-bedroom flat"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Context

My wife died. I will be living alone from now on.

shatilof

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Context

My wife died. I will be living alone from now on.
Why not just "I will live..."? To show your sad sad (or joyful) future as a process which will take some time?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why not just "I will live..."? To show your sad sad (or joyful) future as a process which will take some time?
"I will be living alone ..." expresses the continuous aspect of the living alone. It started as soon as the speaker's wife died and continues for an indeterminate length of time.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I need to be leaving soon.

The continuous aspect adds a sense that the speaker is thinking at the back of his mind about a schedule.

I don't think I'd use "I have to be going" on its own. Generally, I'd follow it with "soon" or "now" or even "five minutes ago"

Yes, I think this illustrates what I'm saying. The use of these words supports the idea that there is a schedule to be followed.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

I think that "I'd use the latter with a wry smile" is a main clause and that "once I'd realised I'd meant to leave earlier" is a if-clause.
So, I think that, if the main clause uses "would" + the base form of a main verb, the if-clause could use the simple past tense or the simple present tense, not the past perfect tense.

What's the reason "I'd realised I'd meant" was used instead of "I realised I meant"?

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

Should "I'd realised I'd meant" be changed to "I have realised I have meant" if "I'd use" were to be changed to "I use"

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@GoldfishLord Would you like to make a sentence out of that?