Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I read many english book. But I find that there are always many sentences in German or French and other languages. It seems to be some common or special sentences. Are these things the British should master?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I read many a lot of English books no full stop here but I find that there are always many a lot of sentences in German, or French and other languages. It seems They seem to be some common or special sentences.

Are these things the British should master?
Please note my corrections above. I don't understand the underlined part. What do you mean by "common or special sentences"? Also, I don't understand your question. Why would British people specifically need to master reading sentences in foreign languages? Do you think that only British people read books in English?

Please give us some examples of such sentences, including the title and author of the books you found them in.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I believe he's referring to our use of foreign terms/phrases in English, like "je ne sais quoi" or "cui bono" or "schadenfreude."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I believe he's referring to our use of foreign terms/phrases in English, like "je ne sais quoi" or "cui bono" or "schadenfreude."
That may well be the case but the OP referred to entire sentences and I still want examples from the OP.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I assume the OP means "books written in English". What the foreign phrases are is unclear. Certainly, many of them have been part of the language for so long long that they not considered foreign. (English borrows extensively, and we never return anything. 😉)

Status
Not open for further replies.