I remember going there when I was in high school or something but didn't pay attentio

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

I remember going there when I was in high school or something but didn't pay attention to all the history behind the whole incident. So, I had been anticipating the memorial visit even before we were in Nanking! It did not disappoint - I was appalled by what had happened, and was fascinated by what went on during WWII.

Are the sentences grammatically, and is the past perfect used correctly?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes to both questions.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, there's no need for the past perfect. You can use it here if you want to.
The only potential problem is that the sentence with "went" could mean that you were fascinated at the time, while it was happening. The past perfect can't mean this. But the context clearly explains that you aren't a WWII veteran or observer.

B

B45

No, there's no need for the past perfect. You can use it here if you want to.
The only potential problem is that the sentence with "went" could mean that you were fascinated at the time, while it was happening. The past perfect can't mean this. But the context clearly explains that you aren't a WWII veteran or observer.

Could you simplify it so that it's even more layman than it already is? So, are you saying that this sentence:

I was appalled by what had happened, and was fascinated by what went on during WWII. - Can be either went or had gone?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I was appalled by what had happened, and was fascinated by what went on during WWII. - Can be either went or had gone?
It can be either.
If you experienced WWII and found out about the events as they happened, it should be 'went on'.
If you found out about WWII later, it should be i) "had gone on" if you have no supporting context about how you came by the knowledge or ii) either "went on" or "had gone on" if the context is given, as in your example.

Your earlier verb "had happened" also follows those guidelines, ie. it should ideally be in the same tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.