Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Iran
Danny: Ah, Joey, buddy, this is the best you are moving in!

Joey: Thanks Danny. This works out so perfect. I move into a place with a washing machine on the exact day I run out of clean clothes.

Full House

Can we say "... on the exact day I have ran out of clean clothes"? If so, what is the difference?

Thank you.

If you fix the past participle of to run,​ yes. (It's "run".) Your version is less casual.

"....on the exact day I have run out.....".Either with past perfect in the second quote would be understood.

"....on the exact day I have run out.....".Either with past perfect in the second quote would be understood.
May I ask what is the difference between these two in this context?

I move into a place with a washing machine on the exact day I run out of clean clothes.
I move into a place with a washing machine on the exact day I have run out of clean clothes.

May I ask what is the difference between these two in this context?

You could argue that in the first the person has not soiled all their clothes yet, though will today, but, as Piscean says, it's an insignificant distinction.

The difference is of use, not meaning.

The use of two present simple verbs presents the original sentence as a narrative. It's like the speaker is presenting his life as a story.

Your alternative version does not have this effect. Also, it seems to me inelegant to begin the sentence in the narrative present simple and then finish in the present perfect. The original sentence is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back