Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I am concerned the following sentences the fist one is better than the second one. What do you think?

1. I take a taxi to London.

2. I get a taxi to London.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You’ll find a helpful answer here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am concerned the following sentences don't know if the first one sentence below is better than the second one. What do you think?

1. I take a taxi to London.
2. I get a taxi to London.
Are you talking about a habitual action? Do you do it regularly? If so, the present simple is appropriate and both sentences are possible. However, if you're talking about a specific incident, you need a different tense. Have you studied the difference between various tenses yet?

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Are you talking about a habitual action? Do you do it regularly? If so, the present simple is appropriate and both sentences are possible. However, if you're talking about a specific incident, you need a different tense. Have you studied the difference between various tenses yet?
Yes, emsr2d2. I am studying the present tense and present contiune tense for my free time. I do habitly take the taxi to London.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, emsr2d2. I am studying the present tense and the present contiune continuous tense for in my free time. I do habitly habitually take the a taxi to London.
OK. Are those the only two tenses you know at the moment?

If you habitually/regularly take a taxi to London, both sentences are possible. However, it would be a good idea to add another word to make it clear that it's a regular action. Here are a couple of suggestions:

I regularly take a taxi to London.
I frequently get a taxi to London.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
OK. Are those the only two tenses you know at the moment?

If you habitually/regularly take a taxi to London, both sentences are possible. However, it would be a good idea to add another word to make it clear that it's a regular action. Here are a couple of suggestions:

I regularly take a taxi to London.
I frequently get a taxi to London.
I wanted to use the in front a word "taxi". Because I know who deliver me to London. He is my friend. If I use a taxi, every taxi drivers can deliver me to London.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wanted to use "the" in front of a the word "taxi" no full stop here because I know the person who deliver drives me to London. He is my friend. If I use a taxi, every taxi drivers can deliver me to London.
Note my corrections above. I don't understand the underlined sentence at all.

Why do you think adding "the" before "taxi" indicates that you know the driver? Is your friend a taxi driver? If not, then you don't take a taxi to London at all. You need to say "My friend regularly drives me to London".

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Note my corrections above. I don't understand the underlined sentence at all.

Why do you think adding "the" before "taxi" indicates that you know the driver? Is your friend a taxi driver? If not, then you don't take a taxi to London at all. You need to say "My friend regularly drives me to London".
If I use a taxi, every taxi drivers can deliver me to London.

I mean the driver who is my friend. So, I use the before the taxi. Is it correctly way to say?

If I use the word "a" before the taxi, who is focus on every driver, everyone who I don't him/her.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If I use "a taxi", it would mean that it could be every any taxi drivers driver can delivering me to London.

I meant specifically the driver who is my friend no full stop here so no comma here I used "the" before the "taxi". Is it correct? ly way to say?

If I use the word "a" before the "taxi", who is it would focus on every all the drivers I don't know personally. , everyone who I don't him/her.
No. Saying "the taxi" doesn't mean you use the same taxi (or taxi driver) every day. You can still use "a taxi" even if it's always your friend (a taxi driver) who takes you. To make that situation clear, you need to say "I regularly take a taxi to London. My friend Bob, who is a taxi driver, always takes me".

Please look very carefully at all the corrections I made above. The fact that there are so many errors in just three sentences is what tells us that you are trying to write sentences that are too difficult for your level.
I am locking this thread for now. If I leave it open, I think you're just going to ask more questions when you clearly don't understand the answers you've already been given.

Status
Not open for further replies.