Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
00illegal-dispensaries-threeByTwoMediumAt2X.jpg

If I call a taxi, telling him that I want to go to 99c/pizza [I don't know how to type or read out the sign. " to double nine pizza, please"], would he get me?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If I call a taxi, telling him that I want to go to "99c Pizza" [I don't know how to type or read out the sign] by saying "to double nine pizza, please", would he get understand me?
If you don't know how to read the sign, how would you know it's "double nine"? Also, when we call a taxi, we don't usually just give the name of the pizza shop (especially if it's a chain). You'd give the street name too. If you were booking a taxi to that establishment but had no idea how to explain the name, you might end up saying "I want a taxi to that pizza place on Jackson Street - the one with the numbers in the name", and then hope the taxi driver knew where you meant.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Take me to Ninety-Nine Cents Pizza.

This assumes (a) there's only one such place in town and (b) it's well-known/famous enough for anyone to automatically know exactly the place you're talking about.

Otherwise, as emsr2d2 said, you'll need to specify where it's at.

Take me to Ninety-Nine Cents Pizza over/up on Pine Street.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I assumed from the wording of the first post that the OP already knew that it should be said as "Ninety-Nine Cents Pizza". I thought it was a hypothetical question - IF I didn't know how to say it, could I say ...?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I read it as 99 cent Pizza (singular cent), because it's used to describe the pizza.

Status
Not open for further replies.