[General] I talked to them in English and asked them to score my spoken English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Jim is my friend and the following conversation is between us.

Jim: How have you been recently, Silver?
Silver: Good.
Jim: Do you still practice your spoken English?
Silver: Yes. I went downtown and talked to people last week. I talked to them in English and asked them to score my spoken English.

Is the italic sentence natural?

The intended meaning: I talked to people in English I met in downtown and I asked them to give a score to my spoken English.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jim is my friend, and the following conversation is between us.

Silver: Yes. I went downtown and talked to people last week. I talked to them in English and asked them to score my spoken English.

Is the italic sentence natural?

The intended meaning: I talked in English to people [STRIKE]in English[/STRIKE] I met [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] downtown, and I asked them to give a score to my spoken English.
It's good. I think rate is more likely than score, and we'd usually just say English once: . . . and asked them to rate it.

Don't forget to put commas in compound sentences.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You probably don't mean 'score', which suggests there's some kind of scoring system. I imagine you mean 'rate'. Not everyone is an IELTS examiner. :)

[cross-posted]

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I talked to them in English and asked them to rate my spoken English.

I wanted to tell my friend that the language I used to talk to people was English and I also wanted my friend to know that I asked people to rate my spoken English. Is there an alternative to keep both "English" in my sentence and the sentence will not be redundant? How about:

I spoke English to them and asked them to rate my spoken English?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wanted to tell my friend that the language I used to talk to people was English and I also wanted my friend to know that I asked people to rate my spoken English. Is there an alternative to keep both "English" in my sentence and the sentence will not be redundant? How about:

I spoke English to them and asked them to rate my spoken English?
It's awkward. Why do you want to say English twice?

And using spoke and spoken makes it even more redundant. Since we know you were talking with them, we know you were asking about your speech, not your writing.

Last edited:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Okay, I got it.

Is my following italic sentence natural and grammatical? I don't want to use the one in the OP because I used "talked" and "English" twice and it's redundant.

Silver: Yes. I talked with people every day and asked them to rate my spoken English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Silver: Yes. I talked with people every day and asked them to rate my spoken English.

Silver, look at the tenses I have marked in red above. Do you think those in the response match that in the question? If not, what would you change?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Silver, look at the tenses I have marked in red above. Do you think those in the response match that in the question? If not, what would you change?

Oh my gosh! That was a very stupid mistake. I appreciate your help, emsr2d2. I didn't notice that! How about:

I talked with people last week and asked them to rate my spoken English.

Is the above italic sentence grammatical and natural?

I think the question should be "Have you practiced your spoken English?" if I use the italic sentence above in this post.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Silver, please don't use the Report Post inappropriately in order to bump your thread (bring it to our attention). We always take our time!

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Silver, please don't use the Report Post inappropriately in order to bump your thread (bring it to our attention). We always take our time!

Hi, emsr2d2. I did use the "Report Post" button but please don't say that I did it because I want to bring it to your attention. First I waited for more than 12 hours. If I need to wait longer, please let me know. Second, I said "take your time" not for pushing you to give an answer to my question but out of respect. I don't understand why there are two mods like this thread. It's a pity that sometimes you believe what you've seen is true. If you don't want to the question, just ignore that and I won't bump the thread again. I just don't understand why you are sure that I did it because I want to bump the thread. What's that button for?

If the question can't be answered, please feel free to let me know. I don't want to waste your time. I said that many times and I don't mind saying it again.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The "Report Post" button is to be used only when someone has written something unacceptable (profanity, rudeness to other members etc) and you need to alert the moderating team to it. There is never a reason to report your own posts!
Adding "take your time" to your report message makes no difference. Your use of the button was still inappropriate and, as I already said, we always take our time. When we have something to say, we'll say it.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sorry, I didn't know that. I thought I could use the button as I have been using it in another forum. I'm sorry.

Would you please take a look at the question in #8? I already corrected it after reading your reply.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry, I didn't know that. I thought I could use the button as I have been using it in another forum.
I did exactly the same thing once and drew the ire of a moderator, long before I'd become one myself. I frequent one other forum; on that one, "report post" is used both to report misuse and to report common housekeeping tasks. Reporting one's own posts is common and appropriate on that forum. It's not used to bump threads, though.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here:

I asked some people last night to rate my spoken English.

Status
Not open for further replies.