Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Assamese
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is it correct to say "I too have thought of the same" in response to someone's opinion or should it be "I have thought of the same too"
Somehow the first one sounds incorrect to me. Is it because people mostly say it the second way ?
Or is it that in the first one "I" is the subject and in the second the opinion ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say "I agree" or "I think the same [way]". There is no need for "I have thought".

beesting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Assamese
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I would say "I agree" or "I think the same [way]". There is no need for "I have thought".
But what if he was also implying, that was not the first time he had thought of it.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it correct to say "I too have thought of the same" in response to someone's opinion or should it be "I have thought of the same too"
Somehow the first one sounds incorrect to me. Is it because people mostly say it the second way ?
Or is it that in the first one "I" is the subject and in the second the opinion ?

One could say, "I too have had the same thought."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It probably sounds incorrect because the position of too is not common, but it's still OK. Thought the same sounds more likely than of the same, but it depends on the exact context.

Status
Not open for further replies.