I want to say someone is truly passionate and crazy about someone else/something

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say someone is truly passionate and crazy about someone else/something. Can I use "healthy obsession"? Are these correct and natural?

1. Amanda has a healthy obsession with French culture. In her room, you can find lots of French books and magazines.
2. I think you should indulge your healthy obsession with chocolate cakes and order one right now.
3. Jim has a healthy obsession with NBA. He'd be damned if he misses watch one single game.
4. Steven has a healthy obsession with winning and being number one. His insatiable thirst for victory has made him a better athlete.
5. Frank has a healthy obsession with Claire. He's tickled pink each time he sees her.
6. Kevin has a healthy obsession with perfection and order. It makes him a hard boss to work for.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's wrong in #2, and not very natural in any of the others. These people simply have an obsession with something,

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
These people simply have an obsession with something,
Do you mean I should drop "healthy"? Are these more natural?

1. Amanda has an obsession with French culture. In her room, you can find lots of French books and magazines.
3. Jim has an obsession with NBA. He'd be damned if he misses watch one single game.
4. Steven has an obsession with winning and being number one. His insatiable thirst for victory has made him a better athlete.
5. Frank has an obsession with Claire. He's tickled pink each time he sees her.
6. Kevin has an obsession with perfection and order. It makes him a hard boss to work for.

Since "obsession" has a negative connotation, how can I make it less negative? I thought adding "healthy" could do that.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do you mean I should drop "healthy"?
Yes.
Since "obsession" has a negative connotation, how can I make it less negative?
Use a different word or expression. I think all of your sentences would read more naturally with 'is obsessed with' rather than 'has an obsession about'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
5jj already told you what you should use - "is obsessed with".

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
5jj already told you what you should use - "is obsessed with".
I know but that's negative. I was thinking "healthy obsession" is less negative.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The words obsess and obsession suggest that the feeling is extreme, i.e. negative. If you want something less negative, don't use those words.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would take "is obsessed with" as relatively neutral, maybe with a tiny swing towards negative. We don't tend to be specific about something we consider to be a "healthy obsession". Most of us are quite quick to express the opposite though, with "XXX has an unhealthy obsession with ...".

Status
Not open for further replies.