I was so absorbed by the movie that I didn't notice you coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I found that sentence on the Idioms site.

The thing is, in all other online dictionaries, the passive form of that verb (when the meaning is to hold someone's interest) is absorbed in. Is by also acceptable? Why is this the only dictionary that mentions this structure?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I prefer "absorbed in something", which is like saying one is engrossed in (not by) an activity.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have no way of knowing why it's only in that dictionary. Your guess is as good as mine.

I agree with tedmc.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
in all other online dictionaries, the passive form of that verb (when the meaning is to hold someone's interest) is absorbed in.
In a couple of the dictionaries I looked at, absorbed (followed by in) is given as an adjective.

With by, we have the passive of the verb absorb.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
In a couple of the dictionaries I looked at, absorbed (followed by in) is given as an adjective.

With by, we have the passive of the verb absorb.
So absorbed by sounds like he was in the process of being absorbed, whereas absorbed in means his attention was already elsewhere. Did I get it right?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with 5jj. The use of by shows that the writer is thinking of absorbed as a passive verb rather than an adjective.

So absorbed by sounds like he was in the process of being absorbed

Not in the process, no. The past tense was shows that the process was already complete by this point.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I agree with 5jj. The use of by shows that the writer is thinking of absorbed as a passive verb rather than an adjective.

Not in the process, no. The past tense was shows that the process was already complete by this point.
But if the whole story is written in the past tense, the past tense does not necessarily show that the process was complete at this point.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If the process were still underway, it would say was being absorbed, right? The past simple gives the sense of completion.

Anyway, I suggest you just forget about this example. My feeling is that the writer was trying to use absorbed as an adjective (evidenced by the degree modifier so) and that they should therefore have used in instead.

Reactions: 5jj

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
If the process were still underway, it would say was being absorbed, right? The past simple gives the sense of completion.

Anyway, I suggest you just forget about this example. My feeling is that the writer was trying to use absorbed as an adjective (evidenced by the degree modifier so) and that they should therefore have used in instead.
So, can I use either by or in? Is there a difference in meaning?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So, can I use either by or in? Is there a difference in meaning?

I thought we'd already outlined the difference in meaning. With by, the speaker is thinking of absorbed as a passive verb—what we're calling a completed process. With in, absorbed is better understood as a descriptive state.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
So absorbed by sounds like he was in the process of being absorbed, whereas absorbed in means his attention was already elsewhere. Did I get it right?
Tarheel, you liked that post. Does that mean you agree?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's what that means, yes.
😊