Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Even a sentence as short as this requires closing punctuation. Also, please remember that there is no need to add a post to indicate that you have understood the contents of a response. Simply click the "Like" button to show you have read and understood the post.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did I say it was? I was asking about the potential meanings it has.

So, I just need to know what a native speaker would or wouldn't say... it's easy... But wait. If I knew it, why would I ask you?

You have no grounds to worry about the way I spend my time, but thank you for your concern.

Who told you that I don't do it? These are different activities and one doesn't preclude the other.
Please be more respectful of the people who are trying to help you. Your one-month ban for disrespect and for being snarky has only recently come to an end yet you have managed to get two more warnings since you returned. I suggest you think very carefully before hitting "Post reply" in future.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This might be a good place to make a point. There is a reason for the dialogues. I create them to illustrate natural speech. However, if ESL learners are not going to pay attention I can easily stop doing them.

My memory is far from perfect, but I think I have one in this thread.

What is supposed to be instructive is not only what is there but what isn't there. For example, I don't think I've ever used past continuous in one of the dialogues. (I can't be certain. There have been quite a few.) Why is that? Why wouldn't I use that one more often? Well, it isn't used all that often. I'm not saying it isn't used. It is. There's a legitimate function for it. But I would only use it if the situation called for it.

I'm going to have my coffee now.
😊

Status
Not open for further replies.