I went to buy a shirt with my friend but shopkeeper said that he wouldn't have any sh

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I went to buy a shirt with my friend but shopkeeper said that he wouldn't have any shirt for me. He told me that my chest is broader for a guy who is my height. I am 5'6 but gave me the shirt that a 5'10 or 6 guy would wear saying if I bought a shirt that is suitable for a 5'6 that would be tight on my chest

Please check my sentences.

Last edited:
Have you already forgotten our advice to write short sentences, tufguy?

I went to buy a shirt with my friend. However shopkeeper said that he wouldn't have any shirt for me. He told me that my chest is broader for a guy who is my height. I am 5'6 but gave me the shirt that a 5'10 or 6 guy would wear. He said that if I bought a shirt that was suitable for a 5'6 that would be tight on my chest.

Why not try writing a little story in short sentences? Like this:

Our pet cat had half of his tail cut off when a car ran over it. He also lost an eye in a fight with a squirrel. His name is Lucky.

Why not try writing a little story in short sentences? Like this:

Our pet cat had half of his tail cut off when a car ran over it. He also lost an eye in a fight with a squirrel. His name is Lucky.

It is not a story. It is a real incident. So I wrote whatever happened back then. It happened three years ago.

I'll start:

I went to buy a shirt with my friend but the shopkeeper said that he didn't have any shirt for me.

However shopkeeper said

Apparently, you've also forgotten the thread in which we discussed the correct punctuation after "However", and my advice to check that you have used an article before every noun.

I went to buy a shirt with my friend. However, the shopkeeper said that he didn't have a shirt for me.

The rest makes no sense. People come in various shapes and sizes--from short and fat to tall and thin. (Use broad, not broader.)

The rest makes no sense. People come in various shapes and sizes--from short and fat to tall and thin. (Use broad, not broader.)

How would you say these?

He told me that my chest is broad for a guy who is my height. I am 5'6 but he gave me a shirt that a 5'10 or 6 guy would wear. He said that if I bought a shirt that was suitable for a 5'6 that would be tight on my chest.

How about the last sentence. Is it correct?

I went to buy a shirt with my friend. However, the shopkeeper said that he didn't have any shirts my size. He told me that my chest is broad for a guy [STRIKE]who is[/STRIKE] my height. I am 5'6", but he gave me the shirt that a 5'10" or 6' guy would wear. He said that if I bought a shirt that was suitable for a 5'6" person, that would be tight on my chest.
True stories are still stories. The art of storytelling still applies.

How would you say these?

He told me that my chest is broad for a guy who is my height. I am 5'6" but he gave me a shirt that a 5'10" or 6' guy would wear. He said that if I bought a shirt that was suitable for a 5'6" man it would be tight on my chest.

I have a couple of comments. One, it's hard to see why that was such a big deal. (Maybe because that shopkeeper is a fool.)

Didn't you go someplace else? (I would have.)

Most of the time we go by neck size. (I don't think I've ever been to a place where somebody fitted me for shirts or pants or whatever. (But I'm not rich.))

Last edited:
I thought the chest dimension is a measure of the circumference/girth, which I would describe as "big/large" rather than "broad" (which applies to the shoulder).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back