[General] I would be very grateful......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My cousin is applying for a university. One sentence of her letter is:

I would be very grateful for entrance information for your college.

I think the following is better:

I would be very grateful for entrance information to your college.

Is my italic sentence natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Neither is natural. Part of the problem is that "entrance information" doesn't work. It sounds like you want to know something about where to find the front door to the building. What you're after is the "entry requirements".

I would be grateful if you would send me information about applying to your college.
I would be grateful if you would send me information on the entry requirements for your college.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd save six words and reduce I would be grateful if you would to 'Please'.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Tell them what course you want to apply for and what your qualification is first, before asking for information about applying.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Tell them what course you want to apply for and what your qualification is first, before asking for information about applying.
That comes later.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
That comes later.

How so? Information for application depends on the course applied, whether it is undergraduate or postgraduate. The applicant's qualification determines the point of entry.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You would specify which course you were considering applying for a place on, but you would not mention your qualifications at this stage.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We need to know the purpose of this letter. (In the UK, candidates don't write letters to universities at the application stage.)
We also need to know what she means by 'entrance information'. Please tell us exactly what kind of information she's requesting.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We need to know the purpose of this letter.

If she can study at that university.

We also need to know what she means by 'entrance information.

Information about how one can apply for that university.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You would specify which course you were considering applying for a place on, but you would not mention your qualifications at this stage.

You earlier said that the course can come later. Of course the course matters; I don't think there is single application procedure/form for all courses in a university irrespective of level.

As for the qualification, I said it is required because it is important for a university to know what qualification the applicant is using to apply for a course, which determines the point of entry. For example, UK students would typically apply for the first year of an undergraduate course using their A-levels. However, there are those who apply with other pre-university qualifications which the university may or may not accept. There are also applicants with trade certificates and diplomas from technical colleges or polytechnics wishing to proceed to degree level. Some of these may be not adequate for entry into degree courses, while others may get exemption for the first year. There are others who have done a degree course partly in another university, which may not get full exemption of the course by the university and application is sometimes made direct to the department concerned.

This is not so much a question on English of course.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This is not much a question on English of course.

That is not up to your usual high standard, Ted. I'm not quite sure whether it is ungrammatical or just unnatural, but either way it's not very good English.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
That is not up to your usual high standard, Ted. I'm not quite sure whether it is ungrammatical or just unnatural, but either way it's not very good English.

Okay, I missed a "so" after "is".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

As for the qualification, I said it is required because it is important for a university to know what qualification the applicant is using to apply for a course, which determines the point of entry. For example, UK students would typically apply for the first year of an undergraduate course using their A-levels. However, there are those who apply with other pre-university qualifications which the university may or may not accept. There are also applicants with trade certificates and diplomas from technical colleges or polytechnics wishing to proceed to degree level. Some of these may be not adequate for entry into degree courses, while others may get exemption for the first year. There are others who have done a degree course partly in another university, which may not get full exemption of the course by the university and application is sometimes made direct to the department concerned.

Yes, ted, but if Silver's friend is asking about applying to a university, or about the entry requirements for a university, particular course, she is going to find out what what they require. The university do not need to know what her qualifications are at this stage - she may not even apply.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
In any case, I think you are more likely to get more useful replies by being more specific rather than too general. Chances are, without more specific information, the university would give you a standard reply in the form of a weblink(s).

Big organizations which operate an automated phone answering system would usually get callers to provide more information (identity, intention, subject, etc.) so that they could be put through to the right department.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In any case, I think you are more likely to get more useful replies by being more specific rather than too general. Chances are, without more specific information, the university would give you a standard reply in the form of a weblink(s).

As long as the weblink gives all relevant information, that's absolutely fine. Universities probably get so many enquiries that it makes perfect sense for them to have a printed document or a website that they can send anyone who asks for information about applying/enrolling.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If she can study at that university.

Not really. If I understand you, she just wants some information about the application process. She hasn't begun the process yet.

Information about how one can apply for that university.

Yes. Okay, in that case:

Please send me information on how to apply.

Alternatively, instead of bothering the busy people at the university's admissions office, tell her to go online instead, where she will find everything she needs to know.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My cousin is applying to a university. One sentence of her letter is:

I would be very grateful for entrance information [STRIKE]for your college[/STRIKE].

They know it's for their college.

I think the following is better:

I would be very grateful for entrance information [STRIKE]to your college[/STRIKE].

Is my italic sentence natural?
I would say this:

Please send me an application.

. . . or this:

Please send me a brochure and an application.

Status
Not open for further replies.