I would like swimming if I could swim as well as you.

It's OK

I would prefer to turn it around. (See below.)

If I could swim as well as you I would enjoy swimming more.

would like + Ving

This example sentence is not would like + Ving. It's like + Ving used in the 'would' clause (the result clause) of a second conditional sentence.

This example sentence is not would like + Ving. It's like + Ving used in the 'would' clause (the result clause) of a second conditional sentence.
Is the sentence below also acceptable?
I would like to swim if I could swim as well as you.

Is the sentence below also acceptable?

It doesn't really make good sense. What do you mean?

Are you mixing up would like to + V with like + Ving? Are you aware of the different meanings?

It doesn't really make good sense. What do you mean?

Are you mixing up would like to + V with like + Ving? Are you aware of the different meanings?
I was taught that the verb "like" can be followed by either a gerund or an infinitive and that the phrase "would like" can be followed only by an infinitive.

I was taught that the verb "like" can be followed by either a gerund or an infinitive and that the phrase "would like" can be followed only by an infinitive.

Yes, that's right.

Why does the sentence below not make good sense?

Tell me what you think it means, and why you chose to use a to-infinitive rather than a -ing.

Tell me what you think it means, and why you chose to use a to-infinitive rather than a -ing.
I was taught that "like to V" and "like Ving" have almost the same meaning. For example,
He likes to play baseball.
He likes playing baseball.

I was taught that "like to V" and "like Ving" have almost the same meaning. For example,
He likes to play baseball.
He likes playing baseball.
The important word there is 'almost'. Compare:

I like (enjoy) walking in the Czech countryside.
I like (choose, prefer) to walk to work once a week for the exercise

I would like to walk the Great Glen Way next year. (That is what I want to do.)

I would like (enjoy) walking more if I could afford some decent boots. (A conditional sentence)

Back