I would like to have visited Liverpool while I was in UK but I didn't manage to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
1. I would like to have visited Liverpool while I was in UK but I didn't manage to.
2. I would have liked to visit Liverpool while I was in UK but I didn't manage to.
3. I would have liked to have visited Liverpool while I was in UK but I didn't manage to.

Are these sentences conventional constructions? I do understand that the last one is grammatically correct but it's clumsy and cumbersome.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. I would like to have visited Liverpool while I was in UK but I didn't manage to.
2. I would have liked to visit Liverpool while I was in UK but I didn't manage to.
3. I would have liked to have visited Liverpool while I was in UK but I didn't manage to.

Are these sentences conventional constructions? I do understand that the last one is grammatically correct but it's clumsy and cumbersome.
In 1, the "would like"-ing is happening now. (Right now, after my trip to the UK has finished, I wish I had visited Liverpool.)
In 2, the "would like"-ing was happening while in the UK. (While I was in the UK, I wished I could visit Liverpool (but I didn't).)
I don't find 3 grammatical. There are too many "have"s.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
emsr2d2's response is correct. Many native speakers get these wrong.

Lycidas

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Many native speakers get these wrong.
One very famous instance of that, amusingly (and touchingly), occurs in Sir Elton John's "Candle in the Wind"—in the original version, about Marilyn Monroe, not his 1997 variation, to honor Princess Diana at her funeral. Queen Elizabeth, incidentally, knighted Elton John a year after the 1997 variation. One wonders if her late majesty had been pleased, at least in part, by the omission of the line with the perfect infinitive following "would have liked."

And I would have liked to have known you, but I was just a kid.

Nearly a century ago, about this common mistake H. W. Fowler wrote: "PERFECT INFINITIVE, i.e. to have done &c. These are forms that often push their way in where they are not wanted . . . . After past conditionals such as should have liked, would have been possible, would have been the first to, the present infinitive is (almost invariably) the right form, but the perfect often intrudes . . . ." (A Dictionary of Modern English Usage, p. 429. Oxford University Press, 1926).

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I am a little bit confused as I have read your posts #3,4,5. Could please look into my questions again and confirm what appears to be correct.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Post #2 seems clear enough to me. Is it not to you?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am a little bit confused as even though I have read your posts #3, 4 and 5. Could you please look into my questions again and confirm what which of my sentences appears to be is/are correct.
I thought post #2 was pretty clear but, for the sake of clarity, here's the simpler answer:

Sentences 1 and 2 are OK and sentence 3 is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.