Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Prompt:
Some people argue that because the Internet makes it so easy for children to access facts, schools should not focus on teaching facts. Instead, they should focus on developing children’s skills and potential, and their relationships with other people.

To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

My Writing:

Nowadays, as technology is more advanced, children are able to search for information more easily. Schools should not place too much attention on talking about facts. Instead, they should be improving the innate skills of the children themselves. I agree that developing children’s skills is more important.

If people learn online, they can find a lot of videos of professionals teaching subjects that they are less familiar with. They can also find exercises there to practice by themselves to score better on their tests or exams. Students can also find different ways to answer questions that they do not understand.

One skill that can be taught by schools is social skills. People can learn how to communicate with each other in order to tell others what to do. For example, a group of classmates with efficient communication skills would know what they need to prepare for a presentation. They can also practice leadership skills. For example, in a football match, if the captain has good leadership, he would be able to lead the team to victory. The team members need to cooperate with each other in order to achieve success.

In conclusion, I think that students should develop skills instead of learning about mere facts.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Nowadays, [ 1] as technology is more advanced, children are able to search for information more easily. [ 2] Schools should not place too much attention on talking about facts. Instead, they should be improving the [ 3] innate skills of the children themselves. [ 4] I agree that developing children’s skills is more important.

[ 5] If people learn Children can learn online , they can and find a lot of videos of professionals teaching subjects and facts and figures. [ 6] that they are less familiar with. They can also find exercises there to practice by themselves to score better on their tests or exams. Students can also find different ways to answer questions that they do otherwise may not understand. [ 6]
Let’s deal with the first two paragraphs of your essay.

[ 1]: Technology is too broad. You need to focus on the topic. Here, it is the internet that is the keyword.

[ 2]: Who is speaking there – you or others? Say “Some people argue that ...”

[ 3]: “innate” is wrong. Try something like “practical experience” and “social/interpersonal skills”.

[ 4]: It is always best to take a partial stance in such essays, instead of fully agreeing or disagreeing, especially if you do not have a lot of ideas about the topic. You can write one paragraph with and one against the statement.

[ 5]: Use transition/linking words/phrases. For example, at the start of the first body paragraph, say: “On the one hand, children can learn ...”.

[ 6]: Try to give an example after presenting some point. You get higher marks if you do that, and it also helps build your word count (the essay above is only 205 words).

Revise those two paragraphs and repost them below. You might also want to take a look at my replies in the following threads.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/university-education.231730/

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/school-education-should-be-free.242490/

Status
Not open for further replies.