If he was with her that night we went away, I will definitely kill him when I see him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Do we still call them 'real past conditionals' even if we have consequences in the present or in the future?

I do, yes. I actually make a living teaching people these things and I've never had a cause to use any other terms. The words 'real' and 'past' are sufficient to describe the condition clause. I don't need to call the main clause anything—I just describe the form and meaning.

Do we need to use the emphatic "did" or we can say "If she robbed..." ?

The did is not 'necessary' but it does do good emphatic work to bifurcate the two possibilities. In speech, it would be stressed to show this.

IlyaTretyakov

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I do, yes. I actually make a living teaching people these things and I've never had a cause to use any other terms. The words 'real' and 'past' are sufficient to describe the condition clause. I don't need to call the main clause anything—I just describe the form and meaning.

The did is not 'necessary' but it does do good emphatic work to bifurcate the two possibilities. In speech, it would be stressed to show this.
Ok, it's much clearer now. Thank you.

What about "to be" in the past? "If he was with her... "

"If he did be with her... "?? Is this right or it doesn't work this way?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What about "to be" in the past? "If he was with her... "

"If he did be with her... "?? Is this right or it doesn't work this way?

No, you can only stress auxiliaries. In cases where BE is the only verb, we treat it like an auxiliary:

If he was with her ...

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Auxiliary DO is used with BE only on emphatic and negative imperatives: Do be careful, Don't be silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.