Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"If I had the power to go back in time, I would go back to the time when I was a kid. I would correct all my mistakes that I have done so far in my life. If I had this power I had to have one more power that is that I could remember, How old I was when I decided to go back in time and the things that happened with me till then or current time (I want to say that there should have been one more power in me that is that I could remember the things that I have done or seen so far in my life till now because it could help me a lot to correct my mistakes. But I don't know whether we can use "should" or "should have done" in these kind of sentences "if I was, I would"?) So that I could amend every thing properly.

Please check.

If I had the power to go back in time, I would go back to the time when I was a kid. I would correct all [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] the mistakes that I have [STRIKE]done[/STRIKE] made so far in my life. If I had this power, I would also wish for a perfect memory [STRIKE]had to have one more power that is that I could remember, How old I was when I decided to go back in time and the things that happened with me till then or current time (I want to say that there should have been one more power in me that is that I could remember the things that I have done or seen so far in my life till now[/STRIKE] because it could help me a lot to correct my mistakes.

Were my sentences correct grammatically? I knew I could use that one sentence but I wrote those sentences because I was intended to get those checked. I would like to know whether we can use "should" or "should have done" in these kind of sentences (hypothetical)?. I used "had to have" because I wanted to use "should" or "should have done" there.

No, that wouldn't work in the above context (of wishing for something).

Tufguy, please don't say "I was intended". "I intended" is perfectly fine.

Can we use "had to have"?

Can we use "had to have"?

Sure. Example:

I had to have some work done on. my car.

I don't know if that's the kind of thing you are talking about though. If you have something in mind, post it, and I will give you my opinion.

Sure. Example:

I had to have some work done on. my car.

I don't know if that's the kind of thing you are talking about though. If you have something in mind, post it, and I will give you my opinion.

"If I was the owner of this house. I had to have a lawn in front of the house". Can it be used in the hypothetical situation?

No, I am afraid that one doesn't really make sense. A house doesn't have to have a front lawn. It either has one or it doesn't.

"If I was a delivery boy, I had to have a Bicycle".

How about this one?

Can we use "should" or "should have done" in the depiction of hypothetical situations? This question has been nagging my mind for the few days.

Last edited:
"If I was a delivery boy, I had to have a Bicycle".

How about this one?

Can we use "should" or "should have done" in the depiction of hypothetical situations? This question has been nagging my mind for A few days.

Sure. It would be about something you wish you had done but didn't. There are countless possibilities. Perhaps:

What I should have done was take the car keys from her so she couldn't drive. She would have put up a fuss, but she'd still be alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back